The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black (Song)  » Music  »
  • Although I don’t know The Rolling Stones catalogue extremely well, or as well as I do some other bands, I would certainly rank this song among their best without any doubt in my mind

• by Grimmy101

Paint It Black is a track by The Rolling Stones which appears on the album Aftermath. The song has become iconic and extremely well known among Rolling Stones fans and just rock fans in general, myself included.

The sitar riff on this track has just become so memorable to me and I still love listening that riff along with the drumming on the track as well as how Jagger’s voice somehow fits in with everything so nicely.

Jagger’s voice sort of shifts

between a humming along with the sitar to a much more up-front vocal delivery which is much more in your face rather than just sort of going along with what the sitar is doing, it has far more character to it I suppose you could say.

Paint It Black is repetitive in structure but I actually don’t mind this here at all.

Generally I find that if the structure is repetitive or predictable than this takes away from the overall song but ...

• I don’t really get that feeling here.

The flow in this song is just excellent, all of the parts work so naturally together and parts transition so smoothly that it just makes this track extremely enjoyable and I really find no flaws with it.

Generally the only music with sitar that I’ve been introduced to have been the few tracks which George Harrison from The Beatles has done but Harrison’s sitar use is actually quite different than the sitar use in this

track.

It’s sort of difficult to explain without a person actually listening to two examples of the sitar use, but I will say that the sitar is used extremely tastefully here and along with the drums is able to create a very eastern sound, another reason why this song is just great.

Although I don’t know The Rolling Stones catalogue extremely well, or as well as I do some other bands, I would certainly rank this song among their best without any doubt in my mind.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1415061143530830/k2311a0615/6.15.10