Broan Elite Trash Compactor  » Housewares  »
  • Furthermore, I was also concerned about the cost of the garbage bags

• by mjcnv36

We purchased our Broan Elite trash compactor about a year and half ago at the recommendation of my husband’s parents. I was very hesitant about this purchase for a few reasons, including the fact that we did not have a built in place to put it in the kitchen, and because we have small children. I was concerned they would injure themselves with it. Furthermore, I was also concerned about the cost of the garbage bags; you cannot use regular trash bags; you must use bags that are specifically designed for trash compactors, and preferably those that are made by Broan for their own product.

Let me first say that this is a very heavy appliance; so if you aren’t

having it delivered, you will need help getting it out of your vehicle or you will hurt yourself. We had to have some neighbors help us. We were happy to find that we were able to put it at the end of our kitchen island, and it did not look out of place or take up too much room in the kitchen. This made me happy because of course I want my house to look nice. The kids were not able to get into the trash compactor because it does have a child lock. As they have gotten bigger, we did of course teach them how to open it to put garbage in, and they know ...

• they are not allowed to turn the trash compactor on.

Now, as I have said, the bags are very expensive. They were almost $20 per package at the appliance store where we bought the trash compactor. My husband, who is in sales, was able to talk them down to about $7 per package of bags, which is a six month supply. This made things much more reasonable.

By using a trash compactor, we were able to cut down to about one to two bags of garbage per week, and we used to generate about 6 to 7 bags per week! Surprisingly, the bags aren’t even very heavy. I really like the feeling that we are no longer

clogging up landfills so much by reducing how much waste our family is making per week.

Although I have been much happier with the trash compactor than I had thought, there are some things to keep in mind before buying one. You cannot put glass into them, or things like aerosol cans. You also cannot really put much food into your trash, because if you are only changing the bag once a week (or in the case of my in laws who live by themselves, it can be up to two weeks or more before they need to change bags) the garbage can really start to smell.

Overall, I would recommend this appliance. It has worked well for our family.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5314061142740530/k2311a0614/6.14.10