Whirlpool 25.1 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator in Black  » Housewares  »
  • First of all, I thought the Whirlpool name brand was reputable, and I wanted to purchase something that could be easily serviced if it needed to be
  • I found out soon, though, that the black finish showed fingerprints
  • I had been warned about this, but I didn't think that it would be that big of an issue
  • Overall I think the problems I have with the fridge are more a matter of personal preference

• by mariekay

When the time came to remodel our outdated kitchen, we purchased new appliances at the same time. We bought this Whirlpool refrigerator for several reasons. First of all, I thought the Whirlpool name brand was reputable, and I wanted to purchase something that could be easily serviced if it needed to be. Secondly, I had wanted a side-by-side refrigerator not only for convenience, but also for looks. I had always thought that the side-by-side models looked sleeker and more contemporary than the traditional freezer-on-top, fridge-on-bottom models. I also liked the fact that this fridge was reasonable priced at around $800. It was not the most expensive, and not the least expensive, but a mid-range price, which is just what I was looking for.

The fridge looked nice

in our new kitchen, and matched the decor. We got it in black, and I really liked the looks of it when it was first installed. I found out soon, though, that the black finish showed fingerprints. I had been warned about this, but I didn’t think that it would be that big of an issue. I figured if it gets full of fingerprints, I would just wipe it clean from time to time. I was surprised how obvious every single fingerprint was, however. Especially when I have a house full of kids, not to mention a baby and a toddler who always seem to have sticky fingers. sadly, the fridge seemed to constantly be covered with fingerprints and I found myself wiping it down ...

• several times a day. When the sunlight shown in through the windows, the fridge looked filthy most of the time.

Apart from the fingerprint issue, I also found that even though I had wanted a side-by-side unit for convenience, it seemed like there was never enough room on the freezer side. With our traditional fridge, I would sometimes place an entire pizza in the box on the shelf in the freezer. With our new fridge, this wouldn’t work because the space was too narrow and the pizza box wouldn’t fit unless it was tipped on it’s side. Any items that were too wide didn’t fit into the freezer side.

This became simply a minor annoyance and I got used to it after a while. I did like

the look of the side-by-side fridge (except for those fingerprints!) I liked the way it looked in my kitchen, so that was a plus. It also worked fine, it got plenty cold and it had an adjustable temperature, which I liked. So, as far as function, the fridge is fine.

Overall I think the problems I have with the fridge are more a matter of personal preference. I can’t say it’s a bad purchase, because it works fine and looks nice. But if I had to do it over again, I would choose a different model. Some people may like it, though, since it is attractive and reasonably priced. For me, it was a hassle due to the fingerprint issue and the narrow freezer.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5314061142550530/k2311a0614/6.14.10