The Firm Maximum Cardio Burn Plus Abs DVD  » Health  »
  • I know the broom handle isn’t weighted like the Sculpting Stick, but it is useful for balance and I don’t think I have ever seen the other in any of my local stores
  • I thought they did a nice job of using different music to give you cues to the tempo and interval changes

• by Jude244

I got an opportunity to try another workout DVD by The Firm. Boy, these people are not fooling around! With the Firm Body Sculpting System 2: Maximum Cardio Burn Plus Abs, you can pretty much expect a heart pounding; sweat inducing, calorie torch fest capable reshaping your body in as little time as possible.

Thanks to a combination of low impact cardio, aerobics using a step, cardio kickboxing and light weight training with a weighted stick or “Twigs”, this workout delivers quite a punch. It breaks down to 35 minutes of interval training, 6 minutes of a standing leg workout, and 6 minutes of abdominal training. Let the burning begin!

A word of warning, this workout requires the Firm Fanny Lifter, the Firm Sculpting Stick and “Twigs”. You’d think by now that I would know to look for DVDs that don’t require hard to find items, but

alas, I got home and had to brainstorm my own home “equipment”.

In this case, I used my Firm Wave step, a handle formerly belonging to a broom, and a pair of light dumbbells to replace the “twigs”.

I know the broom handle isn’t weighted like the Sculpting Stick, but it is useful for balance and I don’t think I have ever seen the other in any of my local stores. If you have an aerobic step at home, just go ahead and use it to replace the Fanny Lifter. The heights may be off a little, but again, I have yet to see their step in a local store.

This class is led by Allie Del Rio along with four other classmates. The girls are all wearing red and black matching tank top ensembles, and the studio features a glossy white floor, frosted panel walls,

• and a center fixture with the Firm logo affixed to it.

Right from the start the techno sounding music sets a high energy tempo. One of my biggest complains though, is that they never have a chapter menu or break the workouts into playable parts. This workout much like every other Firm DVD that I have tried, just goes right into the program.

So if, for example, I just wanted to do the 6 minute ab workout on occasion, there is no way to just choose that section. In this day and age, how hard is it to configure the DVD to contain the warm-up, workouts, and the cool downs. Most of my other workouts contain playable segments which save valuable time and can skip over less than stellar segments.

In the future, I can only hope that the Firm follows the many other

workout organizations that provide chapter menus, customizable workouts, or mix and match workouts by discipline or time constraints.

Somehow knowing I will be locked into a nearly 50 minute workout, is not as appealing as if they had broken it up into 15-20 minute segments. There is just no flexibility here when you are pressed for time, or as I mentioned, only want a quick ab session.

In all it was a challenging but fun workout. I thought they did a nice job of using different music to give you cues to the tempo and interval changes. I am also partial to kickboxing sequences and found the march and jabs, elbow-to knee pull downs, and punch and back kick combinations a lot of fun.

If you’d like to try this Firm workout, it is available through several private merchants on Amazon starting at 4.24 USD.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3411061139190830/k2311a0611/6.11.10