Steven Spielberg’s War of the Worlds (2005)
1.5
  • I prefer a good script with low effects, anyway

• by StarbaseOne

The Steven Spielberg remake of the famous War of the Worlds 1953 movie was downright disappointing. The movie borders on awful, and really doesn’t come through. Despite the good cast, it was poorly directly and badly written. While the original movie was inspiring and filled with tension, this new movie just falls flat and doesn’t even raise my heart level. It’s bad from the start to finish.

The biggest problem was the dialog. For most of the movie, Tom

Cruise and Dakota Fanning just scream and yell at each other. It’s one scene after another of them berating each other and arguing. In one scene, Dakota’s character just screams uncontrollably for a long 7 minutes. It’s annoying, does not inspire fear, and does nothing for the film. Several more ridiculous scenes follow, where the characters seems to have no brains in their heads. I like smart characters, not lost sheep. Not one of the ...

• protagonists had a clue how to react. I had a headache from the screaming by halfway through the movie.

The effects didn’t come through either. Even though they did a fairly good job, it just wasn’t that great. Since the creators already threw out the script, dialog and any chance at a plot, I would have thought at least we’d get a barrage of great effects. Only a few SFX came across the screen. That isn’t so

disappointing. I prefer a good script with low effects, anyway. This film had neither. Do not expect to be entertained, but rather you’ll be bored. I was looking at my watch through most of it. Is it over yet? It doesn’t scare, or entertain its viewers.

Skip this movie, and go see the original H.G. Wells film again on dvd. Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise really “missed the boat” on this one. I rate it a poor movie experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111061138700730/k2311a0611/6.11.10