Acer Aspire 5517  » Computers  »
  • I found my Acer Aspire 5517 on sale for $349.99
  • When I first saw my new computer I was impressed with the sleek look to it and how lightweight it was
  • I like to watch TV online and this screen made it more enjoyable
  • I love having a number key system and this is the first Laptop I have ever owned that had one
  • Still I do not recommend this computer for people who do not have much laptop experience

• by makeithappen

A few months ago I purchased an Acer Aspire 5517 to replace my Dell Insperion. I have always been an avid Dell supporter so I was very afraid to switch to a new brand of computer. But I read consumer reports and did some research and learned that Acer was a good brand. I found my Acer Aspire 5517 on sale for $349.99. For that price I was willing to try out Acer.

So how has it been going? When I first saw my new computer I was impressed

with the sleek look to it and how lightweight it was. I was also happy with the 15 inch wide screen. I like to watch TV online and this screen made it more enjoyable.

My second impression was that this computer has more buttons then my Dell did. For example it has it’s own number key pad. For me this is a big bonus! I love having a number key system and this is the first Laptop I have ever owned that had one.

My third impression was getting it running. I really liked Windows 7 and the look. This computer is very user friendly and is more comfortable to type with as well. The mouse pad is not in the center but off the the left so you have a rest for your hand.

Now for a few cons. Con number one about my Acer Aspire 5517 is that it has needed quite a few driver updates. In the first month I had to manually update almost all of the drivers. Once updated it works great. While this ...

• Acer Aspire 5517
      was just a hassle for me; for some it could cause a very unhappy experience. If you don’t know a lot about computers this may not be the one for you.

The second complaint I have is that the mouse does not have a great deal of sensitivity. Even after adjusting the controls it still doesn’t feel right. I am of the mind that a computer should move to you and not the other way around. But I suppose I will just have to get used to it.

My overall

rating of the Acer Aspire 5517 is good. I am very happy with my new computer and as I said the price was right. For the hundreds of dollars I saved the fixes and adjustments I have and will have to make are minor. Still I do not recommend this computer for people who do not have much laptop experience.

For my first Acer product I am very happy. I wont give up on Dell yet but after using this computer I would be willing to buy again from Acer.

Tevin Herbert says :

re : Still I do not recommend this computer for people who do not have much laptop experience
The price of this notebook is very affordable for a college student such as myself that does not have a lot of income.

Tevin Herbert says :

The clean look and lightweight of this notebook makes it more desirable compared to some of the others. It is easy to handle and carry around while also having a modern day style for a notebook.

Tevin Herbert says :

This is a very easy to use notebook laptop with long battery life. As a college student studying computer science I am a bit tech so I understand the difference between complicated machinery and easy to handle ones. This one is fairly easy to start and set up and would make a great gift for a parent or older loved one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1911061138110630/k2311a0611/6.11.10