Banquet Broccoli and Chicken pot pies  » Food  »
  • I bought a Banquet Chicken pot pie with broccoli out of curiosity
  • Although they are probably not the healthiest food choice out there, I enjoy them as a treat

• by reviewabit

I bought a Banquet Chicken pot pie with broccoli out of curiosity. I have always loved pot pies, ever since I was a kid. Banquet is a brand my grandmother usually fed me.

Although they are probably not the healthiest food choice out there, I enjoy them as a treat. At around 400 calories a piece, I have to be careful not to overdo it with them.

Most

of the standard pot pie recipes have stayed the same for many many years. When I saw this one had decided to add the upscale vegetable of broccoli, I wondered why– then I realized they were probably copying premium brands which offered a similar recipe.

Banquet pot pies are dirt cheap at Walmart, so I bought several of each type. I cooked them in the oven, as they are always better that way.

Microwaves just don’t do the same job, even though they are packaged to be microwaved as well as oven baked. My first bite didn’t contain any broccoli, and it tasted exactly like the other pot pies that did not have broccoli.

I had to fish around a bit and finally found a small bright green piece of broccoli, mostly the ...

• Banquet Broccoli and Chicken pot pies
      stem part. It was tough compared to the other vegetables.

Obviously, it was added to their standard recipe separately, as it was a completely different texture and level of doneness than the other, softer peas, carrots and potatoes. Sorry, Banquet, I was not impressed.

I could make a better one by adding some properly cooked broccoli to one of your regular pies! I appreciate their willingness to

step up and add more premium ingredients to try and sell more product, but if they are going to do it, they should taste the product before putting it on the shelf. Don’t mess with a good thing is the moral of the story here.

Next time I will by pass the “broccoli” version and stick to the regular Banquet pot pies I am familiar with and love.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2711061137510530/k2311a0611/6.11.10