Movie: Bad Dreams
  • When I saw it again many years later, I still thought it was good even though most people I know didn't
  • I think what I love most about the film is that the characters are just so crazy
  • I thought the plot was really interesting

• by AmethystTear

Bad Dreams is one of my favorite, unabashedly guilty pleasures from the late eighties. Starring Jennifer Rubin, Dean Cameron and the chick who does the voice for Bart Simpson this movie is eighties schlock horror at its best. I remember seeing this movie late one night on HBO long after my parents went to bed and thinking it was really scary. When I saw it again many years later, I still thought it was good

even though most people I know didn’t.

I think what I love most about the film is that the characters are just so crazy. Dean Cameron’s Ralph is a fantastic character whose mental illness just jumps from the screen. Elizabeth Daily is neurotic and fragile and Jennifer Rubin is actually very good in her role as well. I do think Dean Cameron completely steals the show. At the end of the movie when ...

• he becomes completely unhinged is probably one of the most memorable moments in eighties horror.

I thought the plot was really interesting. Some have written this off as a Nightmare On Elm Street rip off but frankly I just don’t see it. Maybe if Freddy was cooking up some Jim Jones kool aid and screaming for unity. I just didn’t feel there was much similarity except for this and Nightmare On Elm Street 3 both

took place in mental health institutions and Jennifer Rubin was in both.

Overall, this movie is quite under rated and as eighties horror goes its far better than many other movies I can think of. I personally think cults are scary and this movie does a good job of taking the fanatacism and distorted thinking of such groups to the next level and beyond. If you haven’t seen this movie you should give it a chance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110061136820430/k2311a0610/6.10.10