Kukuk’s Nest Pension House (Philippines)  » Travel  »
Gorordo Avenue, Lahug Cebu sity, Philippines
  • I think their single bedrooms cost only three hundred pesos (about 6 US dollars)
  • The room was good for two which cost me six hundred pesos
  • But I always bring my own bathing stuff when I travel so that was not a problem at all

• by gitana

Kukuk’s Nest is a pension house located in Gorordo Avenue, Lahug , Cebu city, Philippines. It is my favorite place to stay in Cebu for many reasons. First is it’s location which is on a quieter part of the city. Unlike most of the hostels I’ve checked in before where the roars of vehicles are right outside the entrance door, Kukuk’s Nest is distanced from the street . You still have to pass through some garden before you get to the actual place, and there are trees there to filter the noise of the city, so you could really sleep soundly at night, or even at daytime because the place is really quiet.

I feel really at home in this

place. Probably because the place is an ancestral house where families actually lived before, and somehow the homely atmosphere was retained. It feels like you are just visiting your grandparents on a weekend. It looks just like your grandparents’ house, with charcoal drawings and several paintings displayed on the wall. And the gigantic bookshelves bearing countless of my favorite titles! This was the point when I declared the place my favorite!

They also have very budget friendly accommodations. I think their single bedrooms cost only three hundred pesos (about 6 US dollars). However I didn’t book in advance and when I got there, only one room was available. The room was good for two which cost me six hundred pesos.

• The room does not have its own bathroom but I don’t really mind sharing a common bathroom as long as it’s clean- which it was anyway. They didn’t supply me with shampoo though- only soap and their towels were kind of old. But I always bring my own bathing stuff when I travel so that was not a problem at all.

But the one thing which I really like most about this place is that it also has a garden restaurant just near the house. I liked that its so quiet in the rooms and yet when you want to get your little dose of noise, you only have to walk a few steps and voila, you will be shocked

that there is a band playing on the garden restaurant.

In addition, what makes Kukuk’s a really cool place is that it is a place where local writers and artist hang out regularly. They even have a resident artist who creates marvelous drawings without using his hands!

The food is also great there. My favorite is the caldereta (goat stew) which is simply out of this world. They also serve not only flavors of the east but also western cuisines including German and French cuisines. I have not tried all of what was on the menu, but from what I have tasted, I could say their food- and as well as my overall stay in the place, was very satisfying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3810061136550430/k2311a0610/6.10.10