City of Trier-the Oldest German Town  » Travel  »
Germany
  • But compared to anything I know and have ever seen
  • This is not a surprise (not anymore) since I found out that Trier used to be called Roma Secunda
  • If you want to have fun in a place where people do speak English I recommend the Irish Pub

• by Astrid
      An incredible city! I suppose it has as many Roman ruins as Rome itself. Just kidding.

But compared to anything I know and have ever seen… this little city has the greatest number of Roman ruins in Europe (except Italian towns).

This is

not a surprise (not anymore) since I found out that Trier used to be called “Roma Secunda”.

What really got my attention was the Porta Nigra (the Black Gate)- the biggest existing Roman portal north of the Alps!!! It was build without mortar ...

• and only iron clamps and the weight of the sandstone blocks keep the building in place.

Trier is not far from Luxembourg - actually Luxemburg City is at a 45 minutes drive.

Right now they have a pretty cool (and crowdy) traditional Christmas

market.

So if you are in the region, don’t hesitate to go.

If you want to have fun in a place where people do speak English I recommend the Irish Pub.

YOu’ll find it easy - it is in the very heart of Trier.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382112113570431/k2311a1221/12.21.06