Smithsonian Synthetic Frog Dissection Kit  » Housewares  »
  • It works pretty well and is interesting to see

• by Stacey
      My daughter is an animal lover and my son has had his fill of dissections, so when the time came in our homeschool curriculum to perform the frog dissection, I knew they would both drag their feet. Then, last week I discovered the Smithsonian Synthetic Frog Dissection Kit. I purchased the kit for $20, which was one-third of the price I would have to

pay to order the real frog dissection kit.

The kit contains enough powder to perform two dissections. It comes with a plastic skeleton and plastic inner body parts.

It has a plastic probe, scalpel and tweezers. It also contains a plastic frog mold, which becomes your dissection tray.

Using the powder provided along with hot water you create the artificial frog skin, which you ...

• pour over the skeleton in the mold. The kit is fairly easy to work with.

The plastic pieces are a little difficult to keep together, but they worked out pretty well once we got them into the mold. Mixing the skin was easy as was pouring it into the mold.

It was a little messy, but the instructions clearly warn about that. It actually

was not as messy as I expected it to be.

Once the skin dries you perform the dissection. It works pretty well and is interesting to see.

There is also a booklet of information enclosed to read along as you do the dissection. Obviously, this is not a real dissection, but it is a good second choice.

The parts work pretty well for a patient child and the price was right.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532112113540431/k2311a1221/12.21.06