Sweet and Sour Chicken (recipe)  » Recipes  »
  • Pork and fish is what I usually cook until I learned this recipe from a Judy Lew's Chinese Cuisine cookbook
  • I like the recipe because the ingredients used here are all easy to find and cheap
  • I also cook the green pepper together with the sauce because I don't like its taste when it's not cooked

• by rickyet

I never knew that chicken meat can also be used in making sweet and sour dishes. Pork and fish is what I usually cook until I learned this recipe from a Judy Lew’s Chinese Cuisine cookbook. I like the recipe because the ingredients used here are all easy to find and cheap. Some may also be eliminated if you want.

Here’s what you’ll need:

2 chicken breasts 1 tsp. salt

For

the batter: 1/2 cup flour 1/4 cup cornstarch 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 3/4 cup cold water

For the sweet and sour sauce 3/4 cup water 2 tbsp. cornstarch 2 tbsp. rice vinegar 3 tbsp. catsup 2/3 cup sugar

For the garnish: 1 tomato wedged 1 small green pepper wedged 1/2 cup pineapple chunks 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

3 cups oil for deep frying

Here’s how:

Bone chicken and cut ...

• into 1/2 inch thick slices. Then heat oil in wok or pan. Rub salt into chicken pieces. Mix all the ingredients for the batter mixture in a bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in it. Deep fry in oil until golden brown. Maybe about 4 minutes. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and bring it to a full boil stirring constantly. In a plate, arrange tomato, pepper and pineapple
        chunks on top of chicken. Pour sauce over it and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!

This recipe is about 4-6 servings.

In my case, I sometimes remove the baking soda for the batter and also the sesame seeds for the garnish. It actually doesn’t affect the food’s taste at all. I also cook the green pepper together with the sauce because I don’t like its taste when it’s not cooked. I like this recipe because it is easy to cook and not time consuming.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 499061135120730/k2311a069/6.9.10