Pulmo Bailey Cough Medicine
  • It comes in a reasonably small bottle, and I thought this was going to be wasteful given how quickly I normally go through bottles of medicine when I have a cough
  • The first thing I notice about this medicine is the smell
  • I think the closest description I can probably give is that it smells a little like a cross between paint stripper and that gloopy stuff you paint on wooden fences to protect them from the weather

• by npz

Imagine the worst possible cough you have ever had, none of the medicines you try seem even to make a dent on the irritation and constant coughing. It doesn’t matter what you try, nothing helps to ease the persistent cough. Well I have been there. I have had coughs that resist every form of medication including antibiotics, and just seem to linger for weeks and weeks on end. I suck on cough suppressants, practically drink cough medicine, tried it all.

However, I came across a less well known medicine called Pulmo Bailey, available without prescription. It comes in a reasonably small bottle, and I thought this was going to be wasteful given how quickly I normally go through bottles of medicine when I

have a cough. Not this one!

The first thing I notice about this medicine is the smell. It is foul and almost indescribable. I think the closest description I can probably give is that it smells a little like a cross between paint stripper and that gloopy stuff you paint on wooden fences to protect them from the weather. So far this does not bode well for having to swallow it. I checked the instructions again, just to make sure I did indeed have a human medicine and not some household liquid, and then took the plunge.

If I thought the smell was bad, it was nothing on the taste. Now I have never tasted paint stripper or wood protector, but this is ...

• how I would imagine it to taste. It is so obnoxiously bad, it goes beyond tasting medicinal to tasting downright dangerous! I have tried different ways of taking it, holding my nose, following it with something nice tasting, but it is all the same. The taste is overpowering and it lingers in your mouth, your throat and your nose for ages after swallowing. I have never come across something so strong or so potent before.

But, the cough stopped. Maybe the body reacted out of fear of having to take another dose of this stuff or maybe there is something in Pulmo Bailey that the other medicines on the market have not yet found, but this foul smelling revolting tasting medicine works, and

it works first time.

I am pleased to say that I have never finished one of the small bottles of medicine even on one of my most persistent coughs, as this stuff pretty much stops it dead in its tracks. I hate taking it, to be honest, but it does work. Now, when I do get a cough, I might do my best not to take it, as I do dread both the smell and the taste, but I also know that I am just putting off the inevitable. As soon as I summon up the courage to take this, I also know the sooner I will get better.

If you have coughs anything like mine, I strongly advise taking this, just be prepared for the smell and taste!

fathimath says :

is it safe to give this to a 3 year old

Tracey says :

This is not recommended for under 18 year olds as it contains codeine. (It also tastes disgusting, truly).

Dan says :

Trust me, as a child in the 80s my mother gave me this, it has not done me any harm whatsoever. All about moderation. Hate the H S police.
    It works. I think if you put enough down your drains it will clear them also, I can only say it is the Cilit Bang of the medicinal world :)

Galega says :

I would suggest you to take a look at the list of ingredients:

7mg Codeine 75mg Guaiacol per 5ml.

Both Codeine and Guaiacol is not recommended to children. It can cause severe drowsiness. It can create problems to children.

It is because of this fact that that manufacturer strictly recommends that users must be above 18 years of age.

Please don’t give Pulmo Bailley Cough Medicine to your 3 years old children.

Brian Wales says :

I discovered this secret almost 50 years ago and believe it or not, it used to have creosote as an ingredient so I find the comment about fence protector rather humorous. It does work and would not take anything else. Pity the bottle size has decreased over the Years whilst the price has skyrocketed.

Rebecca says :

I live in Newport, South Wales and have been trying to get Pulmonary Bailly cough syrup but unfortunately cannot get it from anywhere. Can you help?

Mary Morton says :

Read all the reviews - desperate - so bought some. You are all right. - it’s great stuff. Also recommend a sip of NEAT Cider Vinegar at first hint of a coughing bout to run alongside it.

Angela Slater says :

Just brought a bottle its smells awful and dont taste any better so I hoping by all the good comments its going to work on this cough of mine

ian says :

I was introduced to it back in 1999 by my late wife. She was an avid user over many years. I tried it and have to say was absolutely disgusted by it, but, it worked in one hit. Since then I have used Pulmo Bailey when needed. It’s a shame they have changed the product from the glass battle to the plastic bottle with the click Clack Cap. Guess this is down to the PC brigade but hey, they cannot change the product. personaly I will give it 11/10 it is so good…

linda bearfoot says :

I am having a problem finding a pharmacy who has any Pulmo Bailly in stock. Can you please advise of a local supplier in or near Boston Lincolnshire or an online supplier.

Linda

Sewanna says :

Hi I’m originally from Boston, moved to Melton mowbray. I buy pulmo baily from my local chemist. Currently using it now. I’m not sure how long ago you put this post but if needs be I can grab some for you and send back to you with my sister who lives in Boston but visits me on weekends??

Tracey says :

Hi
    I have been trying to get pulmo baillys for ages, I work in Boston, so can you let me know who sells it please?

stephanie says :

Haha This review made me giggle.. I have just opened the bottle.. smelled it and thought WAIT I need to check if this is safe first online.. and came across your post… wish me luck

RS staff says :

Good luck and waiting for the report )

Paul says :

This product is great, I know most people, including all my family think it smells and tastes disgusting. But like the posts above have said, it works and very quickly
    Myself i don’t mind the taste, i think it tastes like TCP (if that is still sold) can remember gargling with TCP when I was young.
    But i would recommend this medicine, if you want to get rid of a cough that nothing else touches.

H Edwards says :

Top tip from the pharmacist that recommended this for me, add some vinegar and fruit juice to the mix. I find that it almost, but not fully, neutralises the foulness of the medicine.

Claire says :

It really does work. I recommend to friends colleagues as long as they’re not asmatic. Just add a spoon or two of sugar to the mixture with the water and it makes the taste bearable by hiding the bile-like bitterness. The disgusting smell taste is worth it

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 269061134610730/k2311a069/6.9.10