Fender AT-3 Guitar Tuner  » Music  »
  • I found this AT-3 for $10 at Guitar Center
  • It was cheap and looked functional enough for me, so I decided to buy it and give it a shot
  • If you can do it by ear like I can this won't be a problem, but it's still pretty annoying and defeating of its purpose
  • But if you want to tune to alternate tunings, especially down half an octave or more, definitely look for another one as this is extremely inaccurate once you get past drop D

• by Ricardo L

.I needed something to tune my guitar with since I lost my old tuner. I found this AT-3 for $10 at Guitar Center. It was cheap and looked functional enough for me, so I decided to buy it and give it a shot. Figured I didn’t have much to loose.

I’ve used it for the last year and a half and it has done me quite well. It tunes well; it’s a little off sometimes, but it gets it close enough to perfect. It tells you which way you need to turn the knob to get to the indicated destination note, which makes tuning a little easier. It takes a 9V battery that hasn’t been replaced in the year and a half I used

it, so it hardly costs anything past the purchase price to use.

There are a few main problems with it that make more expensive tuners a little more attractive. First off, it’s designed specifically for standard E-A-D-G-B-E tuning and not any alternate tunings. Consequently it only shows these five notes. If you need to tune a string to C, F, or any sharps, you’re going to find this tuner half way’s useless. The only way to tune a string to C, for example, is to get it past C but before D, which of course isn’t going to be exactly a C since you have no indication. If you can do it by ear like I can this won’t be a problem, but it’s still ...

• pretty annoying and defeating of its purpose.

The AT-3 is not good at all for low tuning. Once you get past Drop D, it’s extremely inaccurate and basically useless. The lower it gets, the more inaccurate it is. It makes sense that this would happen, but it is a sure reminder that it was only $10. When you tune it to A, for example, you want to get the 6th string to be an A, the 5th string a D, and so on. When you eventually get to an A, it will indicate it with a green light that you’re right on. Then you do the rest of the strings. But if you go back to the 6th string, it will indicate that it’s far

off an A, even though it wasn’t touched. If tuned just once, the outcome will be a mess of inaccurately tuned strings. After 15 minutes of constantly having to tune over and over again because it can’t make up its mind, I can only have it somewhat close to accurate. I still have to do it by ear, thus making it pretty much useless.

If you just need a tuner for standard tuning and don’t plan on doing anything other than that, then for $10 bucks you got yourself a pretty good tuner. But if you want to tune to alternate tunings, especially down half an octave or more, definitely look for another one as this is extremely inaccurate once you get past drop D.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 149061134150630/k2311a069/6.9.10