The Ray Bradbury Theater: The Lake TV Show
  • Much of this tale exists in flashback, and that's the best part to be honest
  • I like it quite a bit, and it gives Douglas closure to an extent, but in an odd way, I was disappointed

• by Orrymain

The Ray Bradbury Theater: The Lake aired in July 1989, and it’s turned out to be one of my favorites so far. This is the third season of Bradbury science fiction stories that aired, and it’s been pretty much a love/hate relationship for me. A show either hits home with me, like The Lake does, or I don’t ever want to see it again.

Much of this tale exists in flashback, and that’s the best part to be honest. Gordon Thomson, perhaps best known for Dynasty though that wasn’t my

first exposure to him, stars as Douglas, who has brought his wife with him to a seaside location where his family vacationed during one fateful summer of his childhood. It seems the wife wants to know everything about him and insisted on seeing the place.

The flashbacks start upon their arrival and continue throughout the half hour. We go back to when Douglas was a little boy, met and, as much a ten year old can, fell in love with a beautiful blonde girl named Tally. They bond while building ...

• sand castles. She loved to swim, but he was afraid of the water and couldn’t swim. That seems odd, I must admit, for parents to spend a summer on the ocean and not teach their children how to swim. It’s more than odd, it’s crazy, but that’s the story.

Jessica Billingsley was a delight as the young girl. I researched her and apparently this is the one show she was ever in. Too bad; she was very engaging.

Tragedy strikes at summer’s end, and that’s why adult Douglas is

so haunted by the place, but then he hasn’t seen anything yet.

The last part of the show is very eerie. I like it quite a bit, and it gives Douglas closure to an extent, but in an odd way, I was disappointed. I wasn’t sure how the show would end, and while I’m satisfied, I also felt cheated, and I’m not sure why. I wanted more, I guess, something a little extra magical. It’s hard to describe, but there was a let down.

That said, this is one of the better episodes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 108061133441030/k2311a068/6.8.10