Almay Smart Shade Anti-Aging Makeup Light  » Cosmetics  »
  • It comes in a squeeze tube tiny bottle, for $13, which is pretty typically priced, though I think it comes with less makeup than with those conventional bottles
  • Still, my laugh lines and lines in my forehead are a bit bothersome, and this product is supposed to help fill those in so that was a plus too, though not the reason I bought it
  • Problem is, the more you rub it in, the less coverage you're really getting in the long run, but at least the color is right
  • I mean, it's got a convenient size and packaging, it's pretty cool that it perfectly matches the shades, and I didn't have any problem with that at all, but there's still no coverage, doesn't hide wrinkles and deep lines, and it doesn't coverage blemishes

• by Anasuya

I’ve tried several (dozen probably) Almay products over the years, and this one is probably the one that intrigued me the most. I’ve had a hard time finding foundations that are the right color for me, mostly because I have an extremely pale skin tone. And, not only do I have a light skin tone to contend with, but I also have a blotchy skin tone, with red around my nose and chin, and I have a very oily complextion. It’s the color and oil that causes me the most grief, because I may find the perfect shade only to discover that it either makes my oil production worse, or causes me to break out, or doesn’t go on smoothly. Or, the foundation goes on perfectly but isn’t the right color. Figures.

But then Almay

comes out with a foundation that goes on white and supposedly changes color to match your skin tone perfectly. I was pretty excited to try it out. It comes in a squeeze tube tiny bottle, for $13, which is pretty typically priced, though I think it comes with less makeup than with those conventional bottles. It’s a good shape though that makes it much easier to pack into a makeup bag. With the rounded glass bottles are thick and large compacts, I find it difficult to fit much other makeup in my purse because those seem to take up so much room. I have an Almay blush that comes in the same style tube, so they both fit very well into my bag.

I’ll admit I wasn’t all that interested in the Anti-aging properties here. Granted, I’m in my mid-thirties and I don’t exactly look like a spring chicken anymore, but I also don’t have severe lines. Still, my laugh lines and lines in my forehead are a bit bothersome, and this product is supposed to help fill those in so that was a plus too, though not the reason I bought it. I did find that it filled in lines a bit, but nothing quite as extreme as I’d anticipated given all they hype about this makeup. Plus, it’s more appropriate to treat fine lines, and not deep set lines like those you’d find in your forehead.

Well, I have to say that the color is oddly perfect. I really didn’t expect something that looks and goes on white to really change color the more you rub it in.

• Almay Smart Shade Anti-Aging Makeup Light
      Problem is, the more you rub it in, the less coverage you’re really getting in the long run, but at least the color is right. It evens out skin tone pretty well, but didn’t do anything for my large pores and oily complexion. It has moisturizing properties in it that I could really feel going to work, and even those of us with oily skin need mositurizers, but I just don’t know that this was enough to convince me to continue using it in the long run.

The coverage wasn’t nearly sufficient for me. Even very mild blemishes were still pretty noticeable. It does reduce the appearance, but it by no means covers them up or hides the appearance of blemishes. That was a little disappointing because I’d read that it has medium coverage capabilities

to it, and that’s not what this product has at all. I mean, it’s got a convenient size and packaging, it’s pretty cool that it perfectly matches the shades, and I didn’t have any problem with that at all, but there’s still no coverage, doesn’t hide wrinkles and deep lines, and it doesn’t coverage blemishes. It may be an oil-free product, but that really doesn’t mean anything these days because every makeup product is pretty much oil free. It’s okay, but not perfect and not worth the price. It’s also not buildable coverage. You can’t keep applying over the same spot hoping to get more coverage because, for some reason, the color turns lighter and lighter the more you add to a particular area, and then you’re uneven looking which kind of defeats the purpose of it anyway.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318061132440930/k2311a068/6.8.10