The Ray Bradbury Theater: And So Died Riabouchinska TV Show
  • In an odd way, I like this Bradbury story, not a whole lot, but it was much better than I had anticipated

• by Orrymain

Oh no. It’s another story about a ventriloquist and his wooden doll, this one a female. I really don’t like these stories. I recently watched all of The Twilight Zone and there were several shows of this theme there. Then there was one on Mrs. Columbo, and now I come to escape the world with The Ray Bradbury Theater: And So

Died Riabouchinska, only to discover that it, too, is about a ventriloquist. I’m fearful from the opening scene. Oh geez, not again.

Alan Bates portrays John Fabian, the ventriloquist who is accused of murder. The story actually begins with an interrogation of Fabian and his wife, Alyce, played by Patti Layne. Now this is a little bit of a twist because this dummy ...

• is female and probably more lifelike than most dummies are. The wife claims that his husband was more attached to Riabouchinska, the name of the lady dummy, than to her.

As the story develops, it takes on a very intricate turn. The dummy was representative of a real ballerina, someone Fabian had loved. Once this is revealed, the rest of the story becomes

a little obvious.

There’s a certain poignancy to the way the story of the dummy ends, and I will say here that this is probably one of the better ventriloquist stories, simply because it doesn’t deal with the dummy trying to take over or something like that.

In an odd way, I like this Bradbury story, not a whole lot, but it was much better than I had anticipated.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 107061130780230/k2311a067/6.7.10