RareJob English Tutoring Site  » Education  »
www.rarejob.com/professional
  • I was looking for a summer job, since my parents do not give me any allowance over the summer and I wanted a way to earn some money even if I am only a student and with little to none work experience
  • It sounded interesting, so I went to the website
  • I am expecting a payment, and given that I only worked 53 hours, in my pajamas and in my own home, I consider it worth it
  • It's fun, sometimes boring, sometimes really exciting

• by Katherine Rose

I was looking for a summer job, since my parents do not give me any allowance over the summer and I wanted a way to earn some money even if I am only a student and with little to none work experience. Before summer break started, I was told by my chemistry lab teacher that she was already called back by RareJob and that she was so excited to start working. I asked her to elaborate, and she told me that RareJob was a service that provides native Japanese speakers with regular English lessons over the internet. They require the tutors and the students to have Skype accounts, since this is a free application that can easily be downloaded and is relatively easy to use. They also require the tutors to have steady internet connection, so that during the tutoring session, the student and teacher can hear each other clearly.

It sounded interesting, so I went to the website. I clicked on Apply Now

and sent my application form. I got a call a few days later. They had me do an over the phone interview, to check my accent and diction. They hire mostly University of the Philippines students, so that was pretty much covered. Also I think my English is pretty good. I don’t speak with a Filipino accent, I also don’t mispronounce P with F and can say words that have TH in them. I also have taken a lot of English credits, so I was accepted after the interview. The training part comes next. You schedule a two hour long training with one of the tutors from RareJob and you have to do it over Skype. I made the stupid mistake of thinking I had to go to their office, and wasted some Pesos texting the trainer.

Anyway when my trainer called my over Skype, the training began. We did mock lessons, after which she gave me feedback ...

• and said she would accept me. I was told I could start next week. Of course I got excited, and a little impatient. I was able to start the next week, after I sent in all my requirements and even that voice recording thing. Listening to my own voice makes me cringe.

Anway, I was able to book a lot of students, and I worked for a total of 53 hours last month. I got lazy and took a self-imposed “vacation” after my third week of working. I had problems with internet connection, and some students will really rate your performance badly when you have connection problems. Sometimes while with a student it is a little difficult. Some do not know very much English and have a hard time expressing themselves. Sessions with these type of students are the most taxing. You need to ask a lot of questions and use very simple language, and most of the

half hour is taken up because you are explaining a word or an expression.

I am expecting a payment, and given that I only worked 53 hours, in my pajamas and in my own home, I consider it worth it. The one on one with students can be really draining though. But some students have become regulars, and some are just so cute. It’s work, that’s for sure. You also get to know so much about Japan and its culture. It’s fun, sometimes boring, sometimes really exciting. It depends on how you deal with the student.

What’s nice also is that you get a lot of feedback. The students will rate your performance, and you can see the past tutoring notes to gauge what the next student will like. Overall, great for students on a budget, and also a great way to earn some extra cash while staying at home. 9 for that and minus one for low rates (because tutors are students).

jellou ray says :

Hi.. would a globe 3g phone connection be considered stable and can i use my phone skype during teaching..??

Galega says :

Yes, you can use phone Skype to teach.

As far as connection is concerned, you can check it. There is no guarantee that Globe 3G connection will be stable at all time. At some places, the signal might be weak making it difficult to take classes through Skype.

If you are using Globe 3G, you should know about the optimum speed.

al says :

Hi, rarejob online english tutoring do not allow 3g phone connection or any wifi and broadband connection. They prefer to use dsl connection. When I tried to apply in rarejob, dsl internet connection is one of the requirements they told me. Rarejob also prefer to use a laptop or desktop computer in teaching using skype.

cess says :

what if you failed the test, can you reapply again? and how long will it takes to reapply?

Galega says :

You can reapply after six months. Till then work on those area which were behind your failure.

Sol says :

Hi, Katherine I was wondering just how much English fluency is required. I was an irregular at UPLB taking up ComSci. After that, though, I worked at a US market call centre. I`m not exactly an expert in knowing and understanding all the grammatical rules, but I`ve been speaking English for most of my life. Is a major in English required? Thanks

Vanessa says :

Your English appears to be very good. I think you should apply - the worst that can happen is they will say no

If you worked at a call center and didn’t receive any complaints, then your conversational skills are probably very good. Trust me, I know this because I’m a US consumer and I get extremely frustrated when I call for customer service and I get someone who doesn’t even speak my language, or who has an accent so thick that I can’t understand them. Americans are already sensitive about how overseas outsourcing impacts their economy, so they won’t hesitate to complain about a foreign call center employee. Anyway, I think your grammar, spelling and syntax are better than most people on here, including the commenter who apparently already teaches English and has “the” PhD. I mean no disrespect, Doctor, but that is not how we’d say that.

richard says :

It’s not just proficiency. You need to know how to interact with as well. I am a rarejob tutor and I have an average quality score of 4.7. Don’t believe what rarejob people say. They don’t even know anything about it. They don t even give enough incentive to those who are achieving exceptionally high quality scores. The pay is terribly low as well. If you think you have what it takes to be a good teacher, then rarejob is not for you. Rarejob is only for ordinary English teachers.

chari says :

Just a slight correction. Tutors don’t book students. It’s the other way around, or it could be RareJob itself (for substitutes), but not tutors.

bryan bornilla says :

Good Day i’m just want to know if my sister,who is a 3rd year high school student she is in a special education class,if she can apply as an english tutor in this site?.

Alex says :

Don’t see any reason, why she can’t try.

Inna says :

I thought you have to be 18 years old and above to apply?

Alex says :

Do you think she is not ? Then it depends )

Jacqueline Layosa says :

Hi, Here’s the qualification for you to be able to apply as a tutor. at rarejob:

To be able to apply as a RareJob Tutor, one must:
    be proficient in English and capable of teaching it
    be professional when it comes to work
    have a PC, a stable, non-USB internet connection and a headset
    be an undergraduate or graduate from one of the schools in our
    List of Accepted Universities / Colleges.

Please visit this link or further information

Amor says :

Hi Ms. Jacqueline I graduated from UP and am interested in a job thru Rarejob. I don’t have any experience in tutoring but I’d like to try my luck. What kind of test do they give to their applicants? Do they require a special skill from their tutors? Thanks.

Hi Amor,

Yes, you can apply. RareJob gives priority to University of Philippines (UP) students.

The test is an online test - EPT - which is conducted in a time-limited manner. It basically contains English grammar and precise writing questions. Basic understanding of English Grammar and good vocabulary is all you need to clear this test. After the completion of this test, they will call you if you had scored good. They will ask you to appear for Teacher Assessment Test and the performance in this test may seal your chances.

You don’t need to have any special skills, other than endowed with clear concepts in English Grammar, good vocabulary, listening and writing skills.

Inna says :

Hi. I applied for Rarejob and took the phone interview. Thank God I passed with a nice feedback from my trainer. I am scheduled for a job interview after 2 days. I am quite enthusiastic and nervous about it. I understand and speak English quite good since I am a Development Communication student major in Education Communication at UPLB. Although, I must say, I am not that good in explaining and simplifying lessons and ideas which is ironic because of the major that I am taking up. I think Rarejob would also be a good training ground in improving my weakness. I wonder, can you give me any tips, overview or anything that you can say about the Skype Test? I am really nervous about it. Thank you very much for posting this testimonial :)

Jacqueline Layosa says :

Hi

For your 2nd interview which is the demo lessons. Here are my tips for you:

1. Be confident. Always smile while talking to the student /trainer because you will also sound friendly.
    2. Be polite. Address your student san examples yoko san
    3. Study the demo lessons given to you. In this way you can prepare yourself and think of possible answers to questions that the student/trainer might ask.
    4. Don’t forget at to ask for the student before you start if she/he can hear you well to check you connection.
    5. Let the student talk and don’t interrupt.
    6. Let your demo be student centered and tutor centered.
    7. Always give feedback right after the lesson give positive-negative then positive.It’s what you call the sandwich method.
    8. Enjoy the time with your student.

I hope these pointers help :)

richard says :

Nervous? Why? They don’t even know how to teach the language.

Darling Violetta says :

How much were you paid per hour or per session? How often were you paid?

ermi88 says :

It is very low. Your base rate is 80 pesos per hour. You will receive your salary once a month.

Galega says :

The pay rate varies according to your proficiency and experience. You can get anywhere from 80 pesos per hour to 190 pesos per hour. And, as mentioned above, the payment is made on monthly basis. The January payment will be made in the first week of February.

Kathlyn says :

Hi Galega,

That is $ 2-4/hour Sorry but that is just way too low even for a student. I know the ones that are hired are students not earning money and that just graduated from my school. I wonder why the compensation is so low and I’m sure the Japanese students paid so much for the tutoring. I know because I did a 2-hour/day for 10 days learning Mandarin.

Galega says :

As you go up the ladder with experience and positive feedback, the remuneration will also increase. They are not going to pay much at the initial days, even if you have shown expertise in teaching English. Over time, you can expect more.

Darling Violetta says :

Was there a maximum number of hours or sessions that you were allowed to do in a pay period?

ermi88 says :

No. You can work as many hours as you want. But as a newly hired tutor, you are only allowed to work from 5 pm to 12 midnight Mondays-Fridays. On weekends, you are allowed to work from 5 am to 12 midnight, as far as I can remember.

Pretty says :

Hi I just want to ask if my situation here is normal and its happening on all applicants? Ive took a lot of this test at rarejob but on the comprehensive level..Ive been always knocked-out..i failed,,so I had an idea to change some of my answers and still same score showed up? Isnt this program isnt working already?
    Some clarifications please..thank you very much

Galega says :

This is quite a common concern among applicants. You need to pass through Grammar, Vocabulary and Conversation to be eligible to participate in Comprehension test. You have obviously passed through all three tests. You are only concerned about comprehension test.

There is a clue. What is your score in Grammar test? Is it above 17. If yes, it shouldn’t be tough for you to pass through comprehension test. If not, you will find it highly tough to pass through that test.

Improve your grammar score.

This clue is given by the Rarejob on their Facebook Page. Check out the entire discussion on their Facebook Page.

Tintin says :

Hi, do physical features matter? I am currently wearing braces to fix my teeth, Will it be a disadvantage in applying? Thanks

Galega says :

Your look doesn’t matter.. absolutely not.

All you need to have is expertise and solid technique to teach students. If you are proficient enough, do apply. Don’t think about any braces that you have to fix on teeth.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 505061129870530/k2311a065/6.5.10