X-men Origins: Wolverine
1.0
  • I tried to avoid watching this movie for a long time
  • I heard how they had mangled Deadpool who is one of my favorite comic book characters into an unrecognizable mess, and consequently I decided that I wouldn't encourage this sort of thing by giving any of my money to support it
  • I figured that since I've actually enjoyed some really terrible movies in the past that this couldn't be much worse
  • I know that in the comic books Logan was the name he went by when he didn't know what his real name was (he developed amnesia), but at the point we catch up with him he is still completely aware of his childhood
  • Oh, and because the best thing about Wilson was his personality, his mouth has been permanently shut so that he can't talk

• by JustSomeGeek

I tried to avoid watching this movie for a long time. I heard how they had mangled Deadpool who is one of my favorite comic book characters into an unrecognizable mess, and consequently I decided that I wouldn’t encourage this sort of thing by giving any of my money to support it. I have held to that last principle. My roomate rented the DVD a few days ago and I conceded to watch it. I figured that since I’ve actually enjoyed some really terrible movies in the past that this couldn’t be much worse. The movie starts with Wolverine’s childhood.

It stays there for less than ten minutes. I’m actually glad about that last part, because it was a throw-away scene that added nothing to the movie except to establish that (in the movie) Creed and Logan are brothers. As an aside: It’s never made clear why Wolverine, whose real name is James, goes by Logan as an adult. In the scenes where he is a child he is called James. When we catch up with him years later he goes by Logan.

No transition. No explanation. It just is. I know that in the comic books Logan was the name he went by when he didn’t know what his real name was (he developed amnesia), but at the point we catch

up with him he is still completely aware of his childhood. I know I’m saying a lot about this, but it just seemed kind of jarring.

When the movie catches up with Wolverine as an adult he is a member of a black operations strike team along with his brother and a few others. Among these others is Wade Wilson (who will come to be known as Deadpool). Wilson is only really himself for about five minutes of the movie and they are the best five minutes. He makes wise-cracks, he gets under his teammates’ skin, he shows off how much of a badass he is. In short, for five minutes he is the Deadpool I know and love.

But if they had left him that way for the rest of the movie then I suppose they would have risked him outshining the title character. After what seems to have been a normal operation for the group, Logan unceremoniously quits. This is kind of confusing to watch happen, as it is implied that this is the first dis-satisfaction he has shown with the life he and his brother lead. He runs off to Canada to live on a mountain. Now comes the part that makes my head hurt.

He shacks up with a school teacher named Silver Fox… or Kayla she also has a ...

• shifting name problem. Kayla is actually a plant who has been put in place by Logan’s former commanding officer who wants to lure him back so he can experiment on him. Kayla is helping him because he has her sister held hostage. The sister in question was promoted as being Emma Frost from the X-men comics in the pre-movie hype, but with the exception of having a similar power to one of hers there is nothing in the film that indicates that and a lot that contradicts it. So, Kayla fakes her own death at the hands of Logan’s brother which enrages him.

He seeks out Creed and gets beaten horribly. This causes him to return to his former commander (a man named Stryker by the way) because he claims he can make him invincible. Stryker has a metal known as adamantium bonded to Logan’s skeleton. All of this trouble is being gone to so that they can wipe his mind and use him as a weapon. He overhears this and escapes.

You’d think they’d have wiped his memory before they bonded the adamantium to him. Everything else eventually turns out to be leading up to the unveiling of Stryker’s ultimate killer (which makes me wonder why he wanted Wolverine in the first place). The killer in question is Wade Wilson who has been

remade. He now has a healing factor (presumably copied from Creed since he is cooperating with Stryker), eye-lasers (which were added just so they could justify saying that Cyclops was in this movie), and swords implanted in his arms (which make him look like Baraka from Mortal Kombat). Oh, and because the best thing about Wilson was his personality, his mouth has been permanently shut so that he can’t talk.

This abomination is supposed to be the epic final enemy Wolverine must face, but in the end it’s Creed that kills Wilson. Why his sudden change of heart? Because Wolverine is his brother and brothers have to look out for each other. Apparently there is some exception in this brotherly code of honor that allows for pretending to kill the woman he loves and beating the hell out of him so that he’ll let an evil madman experiment on him. In summation, the plot is a jumbled mess, the characters don’t have consistant motivation, the hero of the movie doesn’t do anything particularly heroic, a lot of characters are given nonsensical token appearances so that they could be name-dropped by the producers as being in it to draw in fans (a classic case of bait and switch), and I feel like I know less about Wolverine than when I started watching. I’m so glad it wasn’t me that paid good money for me to watch this.

X-men Origins: Wolverine
    Andrew Leaither says :

He seeks out Creed and gets beaten horribly. This causes him to return to his former commander (a man named Stryker by the way) because he claims he can make him invincible. Stryker has a metal known as adamantium bonded to Logan s skeleton. I added this to give readers the positive feel to positive review and great movie. I have seen “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” great movie. I want to see this movie again. I could not help but feel and be impressed with great review and a movie that will stand out still for many years to come.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115061129450430/k2311a065/6.5.10