A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman
  • There's the costume changing, the tiniest details, pseudonyms, etc etc. I think the story is way to short and a little rushed
  • The story ends there, and I am very disappointed
  • I don't like these kinds of stories, that are left hanging, and when the problem is unsolved, and no answers are given

• by Katherine Rose

I read this short story by Neil Gaiman a few days ago. I’m not sure if I totally understand it, though. There’s a murdered and gutted royal, who, incidentally, has green colored blood. Then there are political parties and vaguely Sherlock Holmes-ish parts of the story. There’s the costume changing,

the tiniest details, pseudonyms, etc etc. I think the story is way to short and a little rushed. The main character has this “frog white” wound which mysteriously heals when he and his flat mate go out to visit the royals. These royals are alien-like.. and not much else has been said about them. The descriptions for me are vague, and the end left me confused. The mystery that the main character’s flat mate is called on to help with is not concluded. The main suspect for the murder of the royal runs away and leaves a cryptic message, but ...

• A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman
      to what avail?

The detective (flat mate) says it’s all farce, but does not continue with the search. After the visit to the still living alien-like royals, they leave. The story ends there, and I am very disappointed. I don’t like these kinds of stories, that are left hanging, and when

the problem is unsolved, and no answers are given. Hmph.

The style is very much like Ray Bradbury. Science fiction and magic realism all blended in one. The writing of course is good, as you can expect from Neil Gaiman but for me the story really is lacking. 6 for the interesting premise and disappointing ending.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 175061129030430/k2311a065/6.5.10