Sony Ericsson W995  » Phones  »
  • Im quite disappointed of the image quality of the SE W995
  • All in all, in not that impressed, but with the use of some photo editing tools, images are quite salvageable
  • Based on my experience, it can only be used in short distances when taking a suject of the photo
  • WALKMAN SE probably has the best music software that the industry has to offer but when i recently held a Nokia phone, it wasnt that bad after all
  • I would recommend this phone if you want an all around handset

• by wariactiv

Owning different SE models in the past 4-5 years, I recently bought a SE W995 handset because of the 8mp camera, and VHS quality videos it offers. The standard kit included a 3.5mm headset/Earbuds, charger and the unit, and the 8gb M2 for music enojyment.

8MP CAMERA FEATURE

-STILL IMAGE QUALITY Well, this was the first feature that really made me buy this phone. Im a hoobyist/photographer and I want to have a camera with me always. That’s no exception. So having seen the reviews of this phone made me buy it. Am I satisfied? Well, not quite. Im quite disappointed of the image quality of the SE W995. Thanks for some editing pc tools, and I can salvage bad to worst shots taken by this phone. IQ is soft even at the center. Focusing isnt that fast but “ok”. All in all, in not that impressed, but with the use of some photo editing tools, images are quite salvageable.

SE also placed a small LED light and called it “photo flash”. Based on my experience, it

can only be used in short distances when taking a suject of the photo. For farther objects, better use a flashlight! This thing doesnt even have the power to illuminate the subject. Bad!! SE should have put a Xenon flash. I use the LED for my flashlight purposes for dark places when i need some light source.

I would rate this section 6.5/10. Just above average.

-VIDEO CAPTURE Now this feature came up to rescue the still photos it takes. Video with VHS is above par. I would rate it at 8/10. Videos are not laggy. They are crisp, and color is “ok”. Dynamic range is a little off, but again, what do you expect with a phonecam? I know im satisfied. That is better than the stills.

SLIDER PHONE/ BUTTON LAYOUT/ SCREEN The sliding mechanism of this handset is smooth unlike my previous sliders. Buttons are smooth but very stylish and very easy to press. The screen resolution is outstanding. Never owned a phone with a resolution this good. I rate this section 9/10.

WALKMAN SE ...

• probably has the best music software that the industry has to offer but when i recently held a Nokia phone, it wasnt that bad after all. Anyways, back to SE. The supplied 8gb can hold some 1600-2000 songs at 96kbps. Enough for a whole day back packing trip, a bike run, or a marathon. The dedicated walkman button on the lower left is a bonus, plus the comtrol buttons are located on the right hand side together with the shutter button, and volumes. A quick press of the play button should get your music going. Skip and Next buttons are also available. Pressing the “Skip and Next” for 2 seconds will FF the track or vice versa even if you are in Walkman standby mode. This is a great feature specially to those who are in active sports who needs concentration in doing their exercise.

I was quite surprised that SE changed the proprietary headphone jack to the standard 3.5mm. This is a big plus for me since I own different types of headset.

The walkman features are straight up excellent, with a dedicated wlakman button on the lower left handside of the handset. I also noticed that this unit have 2 speakers. One on the top, and the other one being located at the bottom part, which I think is just beside the mouthpiece. This set-up produces a somewhat semi-surround music style. I rate this section 9/10 for SE. Good job!

OVERALL FEATURES/ CONCLUSION SE placed a small stand just on top of the camera at the back side. Well I think they want us to watch movies with this handset. Not a bad idea, but i dont see it useful enough since I dont use it for viewing videos often.

The casing of the handset itself is not quite scratch free. The battery cover is aluminum while the rest in made of plastic. I never dropped my unit but its full of scratches now.

I would recommend this phone if you want an all around handset. A camera with little above average camera, a better than normal video capture, and a decent music player.

Sony Ericsson W995

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 375061128830330/k2311a065/6.5.10