gedit - Text Editor for Linux  » Software  »
www.gedit.org

• by protoboard

On Linux my text editor of choice is gedit. It comes with the Gnome desktop and comes with a few set of features that make working with it a charm. It’s default feature set is really reduced, they are just a few but they may be the most used ones: it is possible to work and edit multiple files at a time because every file gets it’s own tab, it has syntax

hightlighting for many languages like C, PHP, Java, Ruby, Python, HTML and CSS to name just a few so it’s easier to write code using them and it also has line numbering so editing text or code becomes easier because it also hightlights the line where the cursor is. gedit’s features can be expanded with plugins that are freely available on the internet. Plugins can be found on gedit’s official website (www.gedit.org).

I ...

• always use gedit to edit websites, with at least two tabs opened, one for the HTML file and another for the CSS. I also use gedit when writing a quick note or a review like this. gedit is a great text editor, it could be the best editor for linux but it lacks of some kind of journalist system wich means that if there’s a problem and gedit for any reason stops
        working or if it gets closed, all the work that wasn’t previously saved will be lost. It really is a major draw back and it has happened to me, but for that reason I always save my work every couple minutes, and every time I make a big change to the text or code.

gedit is the editor for me, but as it can’t recover lost files I can only give it an 8.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 305061127380130/k2311a065/6.5.10