Mini Cooper  » Cars  »
  • To drive the BMW Mini is a dream, but it is also a bit of a problem
  • I found my head was just shy of the roof and my knees were grazing the dashboard when I had sat myself in its comfortable seats
  • The trim and paintwork are beautiful, as one would expect, of course, but the cost of repairing a scratch is not inconsiderable
  • So, on balance, I thought it was a great little car, but, will I be driving it again

• by Anglecynn

Instantly recognisable, the BMW Mini Cooper S is at once familiar and, at the same time, noticeably different from its BMC predecessor. The similarities are striking – and deliberately so – and yet, side by side, these two cars are quite different. The new Mini is a sleeker, much more ‘muscly’ car. It has attitude. The original Mini was a car which hid its surprising turn of speed under sheep’s clothing. Although it was the star of ‘The Italian Job’ in the late 1960s, demonstrating an impressive acceleration and impressive ability to negotiate everything from flights of steps and sewers, it was still the same car as your Auntie Nancy was driving to her work as a librarian.

Clearly, when all is said and done, the Mini has moved on. Its familiar snub-nose is as well-known in the States as it is in its native Britain. That is a change from the old days when the original Mini was seen

as too small for American streets and freeways. Now, the BMW Mini is all-conquering. Why? It is perhaps a matter of adapting to the present and improving on a successful formula.

To drive the BMW Mini is a dream, but it is also a bit of a problem. That may be purely subjective, I must admit. However, as a big guy (I’m six foot two) I was struck by the surprising similarity in size the new Mini has when compared to the old one. The new Mini is not especially roomier than its namesake. I found my head was just shy of the roof and my knees were grazing the dashboard when I had sat myself in its comfortable seats. The steering wheel is good. Plenty of room for grip and sports manoeuverability. I can’t fault that.

The trim and paintwork are beautiful, as one would expect, of course, but the cost of repairing a scratch is not inconsiderable! However, when ...

• compared to the very basic interiors of some more ‘mass market’ Japanese cars, the difference is palpable. The Mini is a very well-made car and its price-tag betrays that. This is not a cheap runabout, it is a serious car. Indeed, the acceleration that this baby can offer is highly-impressive, with a torque that would have been world-beating (excepting the real classics like the Jaguar E-Type etc) back in the days when its predecessor hit the roads in the late 1950s.

What would be its drawbacks as a buy? Well, it isn’t really designed for anyone over my height or of substantial width, wider by several inches though the car is over its predecessor. It isn’t cheap either, but what car is nowadays? Naturally, it is an expensive car to insure yourself to drive, as it is classed as ‘high performance’ and it means that no one under 25 is likely to be able to afford to

do so.

Was it fun? Well, the answer to that is an unqualified, ‘yes.’ It has acceleration by the bagfull. It is a sexy car, which means that you feel cool when you drive it. It has one major drawback, however. Maybe this is me. After a couple of hours driving, I got out and put some shopping down and my back went. By that, I mean that my back, which is a part of me that I quite value, as it holds the rest of me upright, went into some kind of spasm. The effects of that lasted for at least three weeks. Although I have experienced that before, it hasn’t occurred for a number of years and I have to say that I reckon the seating in the BMW Mini may have to carry some share of the blame. So, on balance, I thought it was a great little car, but, will I be driving it again? No.

Mini Cooper

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 93061125520930/k2311a063/6.3.10