Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur  » Travel  »
Jalan Petaling, Kuala Lumpur 50000, Malaysia
  • I think that there is no such zoning arrangement
  • What I like about this place is that giant awnings are installed to cover along Jalan Petaling making it not very hot on the day time and dry during raining

• by Pusaka

Although Kuala Lumpur (KL) is only a two hour journey by flight from the town where I presently stay, I have no many occasions to visit this city. My last visit in December 2009 was to join a one-week seminar in KL, and I used my spare time to shop in China town which is famous for its low-priced souvenirs. I took the monorail from Bukit Bintang near my hotel, and alighted in Central Station. From there I went to Pasar Seni by LRT train. China town is within walking distance from

Pasar Seni LRT station. You only need to walk eastward to Jalan Petaling (or Petaling street), and you are there. The souvenir shops are located along part of Jalan Petaling from Jalan Sultan in the south up to Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock in the north, and also along part of Jalan Hang Lekir.

The shops are not grouped on the basis of goods they sell. I think that there is no such zoning arrangement. Perfumes, t-shirts, batiks, house-hold decorations, and accessories, miniatures of the twin tower, other handicrafts, and food stalls are spread ...

• everywhere. Except of the food, the prices of other goods are normally negotiable. Do not purchase anything at the first shop you find, try other shops for better price instead. As an example, I got t-shirts for 7 ringgit each, 3 ringgit below their published price.

Before ten in the morning, there are only very few shops in operation and Jalan Petaling is empty as only few couples of tourist are around. On the contrary, in the afternoon the street is very crowded with people walking, buying and selling things. Rows of temporary booths

are installed in the middle of the street giving only less than one meter alleys on both sides for pedestrians. I think the best time to shop in China town is just before midday when the street is not that crowded. What I like about this place is that giant awnings are installed to cover along Jalan Petaling making it not very hot on the day time and dry during raining. The location is also an advantage, as visitors need only to walk for about 5 to 10 minutes to the nearest LRT station.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383061123940730/k2311a063/6.3.10