Audi A4 1.8i
  • If it’s a sports car, I look at the lines, I consider the acceleration, I look at road-holding and so on
  • However, in the end, because it was the right size and the right price, I decided to opt for an Audi A4 and I bought one that was a 1.8i
  • Not like a bus type roomy, but plenty of space to move about and leg room (a bugbear with me as I’m tall) was just not an issue

• by Anglecynn

I am not a car freak, let me make that clear. However, I am a driver and I need a car, so I have certain criteria that I need to apply to any car I drive, just the same way that you do. In other words, I assess each car on its own merits. If it’s a sports car, I look at the lines, I consider the acceleration, I look at road-holding and so on. When it is a family car, there are other ways of gauging the car. Those are things like deciding on mileage per gallon, comfort, and how much room for family and luggage is there.

When I traded in my sports car (sigh), I had to change from a fun car to a serious, parental vehicle. I didn’t want anything expensive, but I did want something economical. Being me, however, I wanted something that had a measure of style

as well. What should I choose, however? I was in two minds, quite honestly. However, in the end, because it was the right size and the right price, I decided to opt for an Audi A4 and I bought one that was a 1.8i.

Let me say right off, I liked the look of this car. It has clean lines and it looks quite aerodynamic. I can’t fault it on that at all. The shade of colour-scheme was silver and it looked quite cool, I must admit. When I sat in it, it was roomy. Not like a bus type roomy, but plenty of space to move about and leg room (a bugbear with me as I’m tall) was just not an issue. Equally, the steering differed from a BMW’s. I find BMWs are like driving a bus, but this was quite sporty, in truth. The instrument panel was simple and didn’t give me ...

• loads of information I don’t want. Too many cars nowadays seem to be built on the assumption that they’re being driven by Neil Armstrong and they seem to have everything from an altimeter to an airspeed indicator. Only kidding!. In fact, it had simple and, above all, easily useable controls that I could work while driving at top speed. I didn’t need to take my eyes off the road at all. The radio/CD player worked well and allowed me to increase the volume in the back, or lower it if the kids didn’t want to listen to what I was playing. If they didn’t want the free musical education, I wasn’t bothered!

From the performance point-of-view, this was a good buy. My mileage per gallon was good. I was spending much less than I had been with my previous car, which was good news. The gear shift (it was manual) was clean and smooth

and a relief from the Volvo I had driven before, especially in reverse. Visibility was excellent, all round and the speedo, mileometer etc were all well-lit whether the car’s lights were on or not. The lights themselves were very good indeed. An excellent range was available on full beam and the dipped lights were still better than in many other cars.

As regards performance, the Audi is a very good motor indeed. Sure, it isn’t a sports car, and it doesn’t pretend to be. It is a smooth, comfortable drive, with good suspension, good mpg and plenty of room to store luggage in its capacious boot. There is tons of legroom in the back and for the front seat passenger. Adjustable wing-mirrors mean that you can fiddle with them from inside to get exactly the right angle of vision. In short, the usual German reliability is backed by style and performance in this car’s case.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 93061123800630/k2311a063/6.3.10