Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine
0.5
  • I bought the Alesis SR-16 because I needed a drum machine to record songs and I didn't have much money to spend
  • The problem lies in the buttons themselves

• by Richard

I bought the Alesis SR-16 because I needed a drum machine to record songs and I didn’t have much money to spend. I picked one up used for about $100, which seems to be about what they usually go for used.

The drum sounds are very unrealistic; you can easily tell that a drum machine was used, even with poor recording quality. It comes with 50 drum sets, which are poorly put together. It gives you no flexibility as to putting different drum

sounds together. What you see is what you get. The preset beats are terrible and are pretty much useless. The fastest speed is 255bpm, which for most of the presets is either too slow for my style of music, or too fast to sound different than a machine gun.

The lack of features is one thing. The presence of unusable features is another. Theoretically I am able to record my own beats and have them play back continuously at a set speed. After ...

• constantly trying to get this feature to work, doing everything the manual said to do, it still wouldn’t work. All that would play back was silence.

Luckily, there was an alternative- use the individual buttons and play it like a keyboard. The problem lies in the buttons themselves. They are pressure-sensitive, so the lighter/heavier you press them, the quieter/louder the sound. This would be a cool feature if the difference between a very soft sound and a loud sound wasn’t so small in terms

of how much pressure is required. Additionally, the buttons are far too small, making them ridiculously easy to miss.

It ended up being a waste of time and money. Luckily since it was used I was able to resell it, taking a $20 hit. I will never go back to Alesis for a drum machine. If you’re looking for a drum machine with unrealistic sounds, pathetic presets, and features that are confusing and impossible to figure out, this pile of junk is for you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163061123740630/k2311a063/6.3.10