Sleepy Hollow State Park, Michigan, US  » Travel  »
7835 E. Price Road, Laingsburg, MI 48848
  • I recently had a day off work and all to myself, so I decided to visit Sleepy Hollow State Park
  • I hope to definitely make another longer day trip soon to do some more extensive hiking and enjoy nature

• by RandomSamurai

I recently had a day off work and all to myself, so I decided to visit Sleepy Hollow State Park. Located about 20 minutes north of Lansing, Michigan, the park was built in the late 1960’s by damming up the Little Maple River to form what is now Lake Ovid. In addition to the lake and boat launch, the park has 16 miles of hiking trails, a 6.5 mile horse trail and ample camping spots.

I had never been there, so my primary purpose was to check out the hiking trails. My first impression

while hiking was that it felt like I was walking through an unused field where someone had cut a path through the brush. I expected more wooded areas, but I later found out that I was indeed hiking through what used to be farmland. There are wooded areas, but they are a bit farther away from the main sections of the park. Since I was a little short on time, I didn’t get the chance to hike all the way around the lake.

The camping areas looked really nice, the sites were all very ...

• private and had lots of shade along with a fire pit. There is also a very accesible trail that leads to the beach and boat ramp. Since I was there on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, it was pretty full, but still quiet and peaceful.

The lake itself is quite nice and larger than I expected. As far as an actual beach, there is a little strip of sand and a small swimming area. Even though the beach is small, there is a huge lawn that could accomodate quite a few people

on busy days. In addition, this area of the park boasts a frisbee golf course, which I did not try, but looks like a lot of fun.

Overall, I was glad I visited Sleepy Hollow State Park. While it’s not a huge attraction with lots of activities, it is a great place to camp and get out of the city for a while. Also, all of the staff that I came into contact with was very friendly. I hope to definitely make another longer day trip soon to do some more extensive hiking and enjoy nature.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383061123670630/k2311a063/6.3.10