Book James Dobson “When God Doesn’t Make Sense”
  • In Romans 8, Paul, who probably suffered more than we know, explains his take on the matter Dr. Dobson goes on to suggest God does love us and that we know there is a peaceful kingdom for us in heaven
  • For now, however, he believes we are to keep our faith because that is what God wants from us

• by Atrillium

When life gets difficult from tragedy or illness, we are almost always led to the question, “why?”. Dr. James Dobson points out what the Bible has to say about these inexplicable events with his book “When God Doesn’t Make Sense”.

Surprisingly to me, Dr. Dobson admitted very early on in this book that he really does not know exactly why bad things happen to people. He gives examples of people that he has known of strong Christian faith who have faced catastrophe beyond comprehension. He concedes that he can find no logical explanation of why some people go through the trials they do. That Dobson allows that

he just does not know why we suffer, was a help me. I let down my guard and became more interested in finding out his viewpoints on this topic without thinking he was trying to indoctrinate me.

Dobson references what the Bible has to say about many of the otherwise unanswerable questions we find in our lives. That is the power of the book — the biblical sources that might give hints of explanation. Page after page, the Bible gives insight to our sufferings. Job, Abraham, Moses, and Isaiah all asked “why” in one form or another. In Romans 8, Paul, who probably suffered more than we know,

explains his take on the matter

Dr. Dobson goes on to suggest God does love us and that we know there is a peaceful kingdom for us in heaven. He also points out that accepting Christ is not a ticket to an easy life. For now, however, he believes we are to keep our faith because that is what God wants from us.

The biblical sources are high grade enough for me to find acceptable. My interpretation of the scripture may differ, however, in some instances. The ninth chapter of “When God Doesn’t Make Sense”, entitled “The Wages of Sin” did not make sense to me. He states ...

• Book  James Dobson
      that many times people suffer because of the sins of the past. He gives an example of slavery in the United States that ended after the country experienced the Civil War. He says that sexual promiscuity could be resulting in the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Although he is clear enough that not everyone suffers because of sin, he does write “…many of the trials and tribulations that come our way are of our own making.”

This is an argument that has been made for centuries and I expect that only when Christ returns will we have a final decree. However, it is difficult for me to believe that innocent

children should suffer because of the sins of their parents or grandparents. It is is true that sometimes our poor judgments result in suffering. However, to suggest that a kid born with AIDS is a result of his parents’ sin is beyond my comprehension.

Beyond that one chapter, “When God Doesn’t Make Sense” is an excellent reference guide for those seeking solace from God’s word. For reasons beyond our mortal understanding, the Bible contains many contradictions; which explains the various denominations of faith in a higher being. If we can accept, during our trials, that despite everything, it is what it is, we might find peace in simple acceptance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 173061123640630/k2311a063/6.3.10