Graphic Novel: Nancy Drew #2 Writ in Stone  » Books  »
1.5
  • I bought the graphic novel out of curiosity
  • I was disappointed while thumbing through the pages because it didn’t give me the same level of excitement like when I opened a book
  • I found the exposition cumbersome and trite

• by ossiriand10

I was excited seeing a new format of a well-loved book series, Nancy Drew. I bought the graphic novel out of curiosity.

I shouldn’t have held high expectation though. The art had 3D CG elements so the images wouldn’t appear flat like in typical comics. However, the pictures didn’t make me leap out of my seat. Perhaps, I’ve been saturated with all the 3D CGI FX in the movies but I was still hoping to get some rush because this was my favorite book character. Only, I

didn’t get the same buzz unlike whenever I grab a copy of a Nancy Drew book.

The story was condensed to fit the graphic format. I was disappointed while thumbing through the pages because it didn’t give me the same level of excitement like when I opened a book. The dialogue was wordy. The manner of presenting Nancy’s thoughts was distracting through the panels. Maybe if the writer and artist simple chose one line of thought and let the images show the movement through the panels then ...

• it would hasten the story along. There were instances that Nancy’s inner thoughts became fillers. Such as, in one panel, she was racing down the deserted corridor following a suspect; her inner thoughts were tagged along the panels to convey what was going through her mind during the pursuit. It was tiresome to read.

The dialogue was geared around 10 to 12 year old readers. I found the exposition cumbersome and trite. I didn’t like how the exposition was handled because it bogged down the story,

which almost made me put the graphic novel down.

Maybe I have “grown up” and the kind of Nancy Drew that accompanied my childhood years have been changed to suit the times of today. Even though, Nancy was still portrayed as a quick-witted college girl, the graphic novel didn’t capture Nancy’s “voice” or even her best friends George and Bess. I wasn’t able to get a connection when I was reading the graphic novel. I started not to care with these characters. It was sad since these were well-loved characters.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 173061123630630/k2311a063/6.3.10