Georgetown Cupcake  » Restaurants  »
1.5
3301 M Street NW, Washington, DC 20007
  • I heard about Georgetown Cupcake from several different friends before I decided to check the place out
  • I love eating cupcakes, but I also make them or receive them homemade
  • I thought it would be nice to go to a place that specifically focused on cupcakes
  • I enjoyed the idea, but the extra wrapping would cost extra money
  • Overall, I am very disappointed with Georgetown Cupcake

• by kirbystar7

I heard about Georgetown Cupcake from several different friends before I decided to check the place out. I love eating cupcakes, but I also make them or receive them homemade. I thought it would be nice to go to a place that specifically focused on cupcakes. My friend was visiting Washington D.C. so we decided Georgetown would be a nice place to hang out.

Unless one knew where the location of the place was or looked it up before hand, Georgetown Cupcakes is in a really random and discrete area. It was almost hidden when we found it. On a Friday evening, there was an extremely long line extending out the door and around the corner of the shop.

When we finally got inside the shop, I was able to

see the variety of cupcakes they had on display. Some of the specialty cupcakes, such the red velvet, had a waiting time (approximately twenty minutes). This does not include the time one spends waiting in the line. I was already tired of waiting outside, so I lazily decided to go with a more common cupcake, a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting.

Upon ordering, I had the option of placing my single cupcake in a pale pink box, which would be placed in a cute shopping bag. I enjoyed the idea, but the extra wrapping would cost extra money. My cupcake was pretty expensive, approximately three to four dollars for just one, and not a very special one at that. I skipped on the wrapping and decided to eat the cupcake ...

• right in the shop. My friend and I went over to one of the few white tables they had in the shop to eat.

I must say that I was very disappointed with my cupcake. I was happy with the way it looked, decorated with candies to make a flower in the center of the frosting on the cupcake. Sure, it looked cute, but the taste of it was what I was counting on. The chocolate frosting was rich, not the best. The vanilla cupcake itself was plain and dry. It tasted as though the shop had made bulk cupcakes, leaving them out all day without Saran wrap. When I bit into the cupcake, it broke off in a dried mud manner. I felt cheated. I am very happy that

my friend let me try some of her cupcake. She had gotten the vanilla cupcake with the vanilla frosting. The vanilla frosting had a cream cheese taste to it, which I liked very much.

The frosting and the excessive wrapping were the only things I found to be special, or distinct, about Georgetown Cupcake. After we left the shop, there were still many people waiting in line for the cupcakes. I wonder if I am biased because I am fortunate enough to know that there IS better baking in this world. Overall, I am very disappointed with Georgetown Cupcake. If you want to appear chic or trendy, by all means attend the shop. However, if you want to eat real bake goods worth their price, I would suggest you look elsewhere.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72061123130130/k2311a062/6.2.10