2010 Beaver Dam, WI Memorial Day Parade  » Entertainment  »
Park Avenue, Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • However, I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this year’s parade
  • But, I think they were at least 10 minutes late

• by Review Vigilante

I grew up in a military family and still have several cousins serving in the armed forces and a couple others that were killed in action. So, when Memorial Day comes around, I make sure to take the time to pay my respects. One of the ways I do this is by going out of my way to get the kids up and dressed and out the door so we can attend the annual Memorial Day Parade downtown. I do this both for myself and so I can teach them the importance of remembering our veterans. And, in the past, the parade has been pretty decent.

However, I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this year’s parade. First of all, I don’t know who was organizing it this year (maybe it was the same people as in other years or a new person) but it seemed to be a bit disorganized. We got to the parade a few minutes before 9 because we knew they were supposed to

be handing out flags starting at 9. Well, 9 came and went and there were no flags.

In fact, even though the parade was supposed to start at 9:15, it looked like we would be standing around a long while because they hadn’t even begun blocking off the streets yet. I didn’t have a watch with me so I’m not sure how far behind they were. But, I think they were at least 10 minutes late. Normally, this probably wouldn’t be a big deal.

But, it was clouding up awfully quickly and there were some people who ended up leaving because they were afraid they were going to get caught in a storm. The word also apparently didn’t get out well enough that the parade route was changed a bit this year (due to some construction in the parking lot). I don’t know if this is totally their fault though since we did get the information and there were only a few people that were seated near the normal route that ...

• didn’t know about the change (we told them as we passed). The parade itself was actually the biggest disappointment.

It’s a Memorial Day Parade. Since it is a parade that is supposed to honor veterans, I would think they would make more of an effort to include some. There were a couple floats with the American Legion Auxiliary and a couple other veteran related groups. And, there was the occasional car going by with a veteran in it.

But, the majority of the parade consisted of politicians, a couple local bands, the Knights of Columbus (why in the world are they even in this parade), some horses and a couple fire trucks. You can’t tell me any of the numerous nursing homes in the area couldn’t bus in some of their veterans for the parade. I came to pay my respects to them and their fallen counterparts. Not to the city clerk or whoever that was that drove by in a fancy car.

Oh, and I couldn’t help but notice the

lack of elected city and state officials in the parade. If we are going to include politicians in something like this, you think those people would at least make an effort. I will give the parade credit though. It was longer than it has been in other years (when it was over in a blink of an eye).

And, I guess you can only put so much effort into a parade that, at most, attracts a couple hundred people. I still do think it’s pretty pathetic that a town of 15,000 can only manage that small of a crowd. It’s not like people have to go out of their way to attend it. Heck, a good chunk of the population lives within walking distance of the parade.

I guess their barbecues and camping trips were more important. This is an event I hope our city keeps as an annual tradition. But, I do hope more effort is put into it in future years; especially an effort to make the Memorial Day parade seem more like a parade that is about our veterans.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592061122891230/k2311a062/6.2.10