Sony Playstation 2 Video Game Console  » Electronics  »
  • I bought it new for around two hundred hundred dollars

• by GID

I got my first PS2 about 8 years ago; I bought it new for around two hundred hundred dollars. At the time it was one of the top of the line video game consoles, in competition with the X Box from Microsoft. Fast forward to current times; my machine finally died, for the last time, about two months ago.

The fan went out first, which I replaced; it ran strong for about three months before the disc drive died on me. I took the machine apart and replaced it with a drive

from another PS2 I had picked up as ‘broken’ at a yard sale for ten bucks, and the machine worked like a champ for another month before the fan, power supply, and the drive all gave up for the final time. I realized it was gone for good, and laid it to rest.

It lasted for a very long time, longer than any of my previous consoles, and it ran wonderfully the entire time I owned it. I used it most often, of course, to play video games, but I used it fairly ...

• frequently as a DVD player as well. While the machine ran video games wonderfully, the DVD function was somewhat slack. The machine would overheat after about an hour of use, and be worthless to any DVD until it cooled off.

I actually used this machine the most for its free online capabilities. Sony offers free online play for its consoles if you have an adapter, so after finding this tid bit of information out, I hopped online and picked one up from Amazon. I possibly logged over fifteen thousand hours on this

machine over the course of eight years, easily ten thousand, and it ran strong nearly the whole time, only giving me slight issues the last six months to a year. I loved it, and would grab a PS3, but I have used them before and found them to be left lacking many of the features I’d like it to have. They are also fairly expensive for a video game console at over three hundred if you want a decent version of the equipment, and I have heard of many different issues that they supposedly have.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162061120210830/k2311a062/6.2.10