Samsung 8000 JET  » Phones  »
  • I thought it was great that you can have a lot of stuff on each of your desktop (that's 3
  • I normally download tv shows and movies and when I'm on the go I just click and drag them to my sd card ( I bought an 8GB SD card) and I can watch them anywhere
  • Not too thrilled in this area, since my sony phone always pops up the photo of the person texting me so I know right away who that contact is
  • Well, I think this samsung jet has what I need in terms of storage, touch features (which my complaint is that it's NOT sensitive enough
  • This is an OK phone, but there is definitely something better for me

• by dzzy21rn

I wanted to throw my old cellphone because it was too old, the keypad was hard, the joystick got stuck. So I looked for other alternatives and i wanted to get a touch phone for a change.

So I got the Samsung Jet 8000 (asia version).The phone features an 800MHz processor, a 5MP camera, a 3.1-inch touchscreen AMOLED display, GPS, 2GB/8GB of internal storage with a microSD slot for an additional 16GB.

Okay so that made me get the Samsung Jet. Sleek, with a red-striped back panel. I loved the design. It looked like a smaller version of the OMNIA. Even the hexagonal button in the bottom part that brings up the menu. The screen was great! it was really clear, I could choose 3 wallpapers for 3 “desktops”, and widgets can be dragged and dropped in the widgets area on the desktop. I thought it was great that you can have a lot of stuff on each of your desktop (that’s 3!) so you can personalize each one to your liking.

I tried texting. You can tilt the phone to reveal a QWERTY style keyboard (just like the iphone/itouch) or you can choose to use the conventional phone keypad by touching the screen. I did not like the sensitivity of the touch screen on this phone! Pressing A will almost always fail since it’s not accurate enough (I mean I’ve got small fingers and fingertips, but never had any problems with ipod touch when typing). It’s not sensitive enough! When

playing java games, I have to literally get a credit card to use its edge for precise clicking. That part sucked. So now when I’m in a hurry, I really have a hard time composing a message since I always get the letters typed wrong!

With 800mhz of processor speed, it can play .avi files. I liked that feature. I normally download tv shows and movies and when I’m on the go I just click and drag them to my sd card ( I bought an 8GB SD card) and I can watch them anywhere. The sound, when using the external speakers, are not so great, but when using headphones they are really crisp with 5.1 surround capabilities! You can choose equalizer presets when playing movies/music. I was really surprised at the quality of the sound that samsung has. Compared to my old Sony phone, this really rocked!

The camera is Okay, with 8 megapixels resolution. It does not have a xenon flash, but it does have a LED light. The LED light sometimes can be very strong (like it blinds you for a bit) especially when taking photos of people or even self-portraits! However it does help that the light is there. The range of the flash is not so far though. The vibration reduction does not really help because I’ve tried to shoot a couple of times and had a really blurry image.Video capture is great, at 720×420 and is really great for travel if you don’t have ...

• a digicam handy with you. I liked the quality of the video, and sound capture is great as well.

WIFI is great, I always use the youtube and facebook widgets! You can also capture photos and upload them thru facebook right away. The only downside is that whenever you go to a different location, the network has to be manually updated to connect the browser to it. Even when the network settings are stored already, you’d have to manually shift from one network to another when going to different places. For example, if my home uses network1 and I go to the office, I’d have to manually connect to office and set my browser to use that connection. When I go back home, I have to set my browser again to use my home’s network connection to be able to connect! I did not like that at all. It’s such a pain for me to do that every time! I wish samsung has done better. Also when surfing the internet, the built in browser DOLFIN (samsung’s) does not really do its job well. I find surfing the internet a pain too, since you have to press on the touch screen to make the fonts bigger, but again it’s not too sensitive so you have to press so hard just to change the screen size and fonts bigger. However using the widgets are okay. I liked that you can also surf multiple sites, until you get the error of not

having enough memory to load them. Sometimes they work sometimes they don’t.

There is also a way to turn on and off the running apps by just pressing the hexagonal button. You can choose which ones you like to keep and which ones you want to stop, just like a task manager. I liked this option as it makes it easy for me to answer text messages while listening to music/being in facebook.

Phone book is easy to use, and you can add photos for each contact. You can add a lot of information under each name, so it’s a huge plus for me! However, when someone texts you, their photo does not show. But when they call you, the photo shows like a caller ID. Not too thrilled in this area, since my sony phone always pops up the photo of the person texting me so I know right away who that contact is.

Well, I think this samsung jet has what I need in terms of storage, touch features (which my complaint is that it’s NOT sensitive enough!), sleek design, wifi capability,and 8MP camera. This is an OK phone, but there is definitely something better for me. I would like to get an OMNIA II soon, as it has windows mobile OS in it. This phone also uses java apps, and if you like to modify software and add a lot of stuff, this phone will not be a good choice for you. You’d be better off with a symbian OS phone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 372061120130830/k2311a062/6.2.10