Safe Tussin DM Cough Suppressant/Expectorant Mint Flavor 4 oz  » Medicine  »
  • Not worse, but it can definitely make the cheeks and lips pucker, and require a good glass of strong juice to wash it down with, or else your left with a twenty minute aftertaste that's sometimes even worst than the syrup itself

• by Anasuya

I always love products that are a rip-off of name brand products because the name of them crack me up. This one was obviously based on the Robitussin formula. And, ultimately, I didn’t care if it was a name brand product or not, so long as it worked and was cheap. This one wasn’t much cheaper than the name brand product, however, at $6 a bottle, so I was certainly hoping it was a new and improved formula that would work better than Robitussun, or at least taste better!

Robitussin is one of the worst tasting cough syrups on the market, if not THE worst, and this one seemed a little promising with their “mint flavor” instead of the generic and easy cherry

flavors that most other syrups fall back on. But, alas, it didn’t taste any better. Not worse, but it can definitely make the cheeks and lips pucker, and require a good glass of strong juice to wash it down with, or else your left with a twenty minute aftertaste that’s sometimes even worst than the syrup itself. You just follow the dosage cup and take every six hours. I really didn’t even need it every six hours though.

After I initially took it, I felt much better within the first hour. There’s no nice warm “flush” associated with some cold and cough syrups, so that was a bit dissapointing, but at least I was getting some relief after the first hour. I ...

• was a little confused by the fact it’s a cough suppressant and a cough expectorant because those two things seem to counterbalance each other. If you want to cough up the mucus, then the suppressant wouldn’t work, and if you wanted to stop a dry, painful cough, then the expectorant was pointless. BAsically, my coughs didn’t know what to do with themselves. One minute, I was coughing mucus, and the next it was dry and painful, but at least I can say that the coughing was minimalized in comparison to before I took the product. I wasn’t coughing as much, and that was a plus. But, it definitely worked to relieve the general aches and pains associated with having a cold or
        flu. My whole body was racked with aches before I started taking this, and by the second hour, I felt almost normal, even when I was coughing it didn’t hurt that bad at all. And I felt much better for the next six or seven hours, which makes it one of the longer-lasting cold and cough symptom relief formula’s I’ve taken in the past. It’s a non-drowsy formula so it’s good to use during the day, and it really did help me get to sleep at night only because I wasn’t having constant coughing attacks. So not bad. The taste is still awful, so don’t let that “mint flavor” fool you, and my coughing was confused, but at least it was diminished.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261061120010530/k2311a061/6.1.10