Sherlock Holmes movie (2009)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Usually, I like movies directed by Guy Ritchie, but Sherlock Holmes misses the mark
  • I think I know what they were trying to achieve, but it does not succeed
  • It was outright boring for the first hour, and then slowly plodded into the action scenes that were impressive, but too little, too late
  • I felt the direction was very slow, the pace was like watching ice cubes melt, and about as interesting
  • I would not recommend spending the two hours needed to watch this movie

• by StarbaseOne

Usually, I like movies directed by Guy Ritchie, but Sherlock Holmes misses the mark. This movie fails to hold together any plot or any interest for the viewer. I think I know what they were trying to achieve, but it does not succeed. The dialog is trite and almost undecipherable, almost as if the whole movie dialog is an inside joke. We the viewers are on the outside, and the cast and crew are just making their own private movie for themselves.

Sherlock failed to hold my attention. It was outright boring for the first hour, and then slowly plodded into the action scenes that were impressive, but too little, too late.

By the second half, nothing could save this film. There were some amusing scenes, and I did enjoy the humor that Sherlock Holmes pulled off, the witty and uncaring mood. However, there was no chemistry between Watson and Sherlock, and their banter was forced and lacking of any interest. Robert Downey Jr. should stick to Iron Man movies. He’s better in that milieu. Jude Law still needs to find his medium.

I felt the direction was very slow, the pace was like watching ice cubes melt, and about as interesting. We have no sympathy for any of the characters, and I didn’t like any of them. They don’t even seem to like ...

• each other. I expected to be dazzled by the great intellect of the detective Holmes, but instead, I was unimpressed. There were few scenes to show us this legendary skill he possesses. The books and past Holmes films made a point of this, but this new film missed it completely. Instead, we see a sort of kung fu Holmes that comes from nowhere. I think the studio wanted a new Mission Impossible meets X-Men, but it got nothing of the sort.

Specifically, the scene in the restaurant where Holmes meets Watson’s fiancee, was one of the few good scenes. Holmes displays his abilities as a detective and his unbridled candor. Unfortunately,

the scene was short, and the rest of the movie does not go so well. I also thought Holmes in the books had more social grace, but… apparently not here. Who wants to see a film about an alcoholic?

I would not recommend spending the two hours needed to watch this movie. Instead, skip it and move on to something better. Sherlock Holmes is long and long-winded. It’s more dialog than action, and neither will impress you. Mediocre special effects, a poorly written script, and the look of a film that was “thrown together” in a few months…. All conspire to put you to sleep. Skip this one, it’s just not worth the effort.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111061119060430/k2311a061/6.1.10