California Academy of Sciences  » Travel  »
55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA‎ - (415) 379-8000‎
  • When we crossed the street back to the California Academy of Sciences building we noticed that the roof is made of plants and trees
  • The tickets cost $24.95 per person and at the time we thought that we would be so impressed with the exhibits that it would be well worth it
  • Not being a mother myself, I found it hard to handle the screaming children as well as the strollers that kept getting rammed into the back of my feet and calves
  • We ended up not seeing the Rainforest exhibit (highly touted as the best attraction there) as the idea of waiting in another 30 minute line with unhappy children and frustrated parents seemed like a recipe for disaster
  • I would not recommend going to the California Academy of Science Museum - if you have children and happen to enjoy waiting in lines and subsequently pulling your hair out, it might just be for you

• by keyestones

It was Valentine’s Day and we thought there was no better way to spend it than exploring the famous Golden Gate Park. We took the bus from downtown to Golden Gate Park, which is a 30 minute ride for $2.00 USD. To shake off the smell of public transit we started by exploring the Conservatory of Flowers before making our way to the De Young Museum and the California Academy of Sciences. We had heard that the De Young was a better attraction than the Academy but the main exhibition (Mummies) was closed so we decided to take a chance and check out the Academy instead.

is made of plants and trees; they call it The Living Roof. We were shocked to see that the line to get in had at least a hundred people, and the idea of waiting in line on a sunny day while on vacation just felt wrong to me. My fiancé however, really wanted to see something so we figured out we could order tickets over the phone (the Iphone strikes again!) and we would only have to wait 20 minutes to pick them up. The tickets cost $24.95 per person and at the time we thought that we would be so impressed with the exhibits that it would be well worth it.

What we didn’t account for were the sheer volume of children visiting ...

• the attraction that day. It was like being at a zoo on a Saturday; the crowds of people were pushy, loud, and ignorant of all signs that said “No Flash Photography” and “Don’t Touch the Glass”. Not being a mother myself, I found it hard to handle the screaming children as well as the strollers that kept getting rammed into the back of my feet and calves. We ended up not seeing the Rainforest exhibit (highly touted as the best attraction there) as the idea of waiting in another 30 minute line with unhappy children and frustrated parents seemed like a recipe for disaster.

On the upside, the aquariums were gorgeous and showcased an unbelievable variety of fish and reptiles – they even had

a 200 lb albino alligator sunning himself behind an lowered, fenced-off island.

The focus of most of the exhibits is on educating and spreading awareness of Global Warming, Recycling, and other ecological topics and while that is definitely admirable in this day and age, for the amount of people they had streaming in and out throughout the day at $24.95 each, I hope they are giving back to the community.

I would not recommend going to the California Academy of Science Museum - if you have children and happen to enjoy waiting in lines and subsequently pulling your hair out, it might just be for you. Go to the classy De Young Museum across the street and you’ll probably be able to get a great cocktail while you enjoy your art.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381061118390330/k2311a061/6.1.10