Alcatraz Island Tour  » Travel  »
Alcatraz Cruises, LLC Pier 33, Hornblower Alcatraz Landing San Francisco, California 94111
  • A friend of mine has lived in San Francisco for five years and said she still hasn't been to Alcatraz Island, but the idea of touring an old prison that also happens to be on an island, seemed too interesting to pass up for my fiancé and I
  • The cost seemed a bit high at $26.00 USD but we couldn't help ourselves - we grabbed a snack in the Alcatraz cafe next to the ticket booth and waited for our sailing
  • We took in amazing views of the city as well as the Golden Gate Bridge, and took some great photos in the prison yard and flower gardens
  • I bought way too much Alcatraz gear (some as gifts, most as souvenirs) and we boarded the return boat two hours later - money well spent in my opinion

• by keyestones

A friend of mine has lived in San Francisco for five years and said she still hasn’t been to Alcatraz Island, but the idea of touring an old prison that also happens to be on an island, seemed too interesting to pass up for my fiancé and I.

Although the website recommends it, we did not book tickets in advance and even though we were in town for Valentine’s Day weekend we still managed to get tickets for a 3:20 pm sailing.

The cost seemed a bit high at $26.00 USD but we couldn’t help ourselves - we grabbed a snack in the Alcatraz cafe

next to the ticket booth and waited for our sailing.

Once in line, everyone had their picture taken in front of a large blank canvas, which ended up being a picture of you and your partner on Alcatraz Island (in case you forgot your camera I guess). I think it cost $10 per picture.

Once we got onboard the ship that takes you out to the island we took at least 100 pictures from various points on the ship - it was probably a 15-20 minute cruise and once we arrived we all listened to a general orientation about the island.

There were ...

• ships going back to San Francisco approximately every 30 minutes so the hard-core explorers could really get their money’s worth (that was us). We decided to follow the tour guide, who explained in great detail what the purpose of all the outbuildings were and stories behind their destruction. Once we got to the main prison we picked up a headset for the Cellhouse audio tour (which you could get an $8.00 refund if you decided not to take it).

The Cellhouse Audio Tour was excellent, it made wandering the cell blocks and hallways even creepier with the voices of past inmates and correctional officers

in your ears. We took in amazing views of the city as well as the Golden Gate Bridge, and took some great photos in the prison yard and flower gardens.

In the brochure there are even details on the number of escapes that occurred - and it points out the actual spots where men jumped in, hid in barrels, or made rafts to make their escape.

The Gift Shop in the main prison building was creative and fun; I bought way too much Alcatraz gear (some as gifts, most as souvenirs) and we boarded the return boat two hours later - money well spent in my opinion!

Alcatraz Island Tour

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381061118380330/k2311a061/6.1.10