Chanel Metal and Glass Pearl Ring  » Jewelry  »
  • I think I’m paying for its novelty design
  • Otherwise, I thought about making it less branded, thankfully this one doesn’t have any typographical logo etched like most of its counterparts
  • While the value of the ring may not equal that of a Ming vase, it’s definitely the craziest ring I’ve owned, kookier than my H
  • I certainly suggest you to browse chanel’s mouthwatering catalogues, the rings and necklaces I can recommend but the earrings - never mind

• by jhunie

Last year, I happened to drop by a visit in Hong Kong and was enthralled by this novelty ring. I am quite meticulous with my purchases and didn’t intend on spending out of sheer whim. Nevertheless, I went home with sour grapes thinking a piece of glinting metal was the last thing I needed. But my desire somehow never escaped me, it’s like that old consumer’s adage prompting you to buy the ‘thing’ on-the-spot or else you’ll miss it for the rest of your life. So I gave in, then asked the help of a friend who’s based there to buy it for me. The coveted ring arrived by mail. I realized it’s just a fashion ring, as with all of Chanel’s crafty things.

By principle, I always go for value first then ornamental aspects next.

For this ring, it was the other way around. I think I’m paying for its novelty design. Similar to buying a trendy pair of shoes, it’s the design that you want to make more personal that’s why you buy it. I do have a pair of Chanel earrings as well, but I don’t wear them often, now that it’s breaking into the populace popularized by celebrities who sloppily display it to the public, it just turns me off. Otherwise, I thought about making it less branded, thankfully this one doesn’t have any typographical logo etched like most of its counterparts. It still has a CC logo on the facet, I’d rather not impose the mark if I were to choose, but overall, it’s just decent.

And people who knew me and spotted me wearing it also raved ...

• the ring as if they wished it was their own. The more they gushed about it when they heard it’s Chanel. After a while though, I grew tired wearing the ring and slipped it inside my jewel box. I find the floral-baroque aesthetic of the ring to be relevant to my personal taste since I have a penchant for classic antique objects. While the value of the ring may not equal that of a Ming vase, it’s definitely the craziest ring I’ve owned, kookier than my H.stern gigantic Amethyst ring. The ring is laid with a peach blossom flower - a very oriental design topped with glass Pearls, rather man-made pearls, 7 all of them then a Chanel insignia placed on the side. It’s absolutely fashion, just a haphazard arrangement. I chose the 7
        pearls because I’m superstitious and believe the number is a symbol for prosperity, a fashionable lucky charm perhaps.

The metal – there’s nothing precious about it; it’s even coated with a faux, quite pigmented gold tone. The ring has a coarse, striated texture and given its built, it’s really heavyweight for a ring. The large angular art-deco facet bites my fingers especially when I have my digits outstretched. The ring also has a metallic smell. This ring was actually part of Chanel’s Pre-fall Shanghai collection, I may not afford a dress from that collection but I’m happy I have this tangible piece of art. I certainly suggest you to browse chanel’s mouthwatering catalogues, the rings and necklaces I can recommend but the earrings - never mind.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4531051117590831/k2311a0531/5.31.10