Great Value Quart Freezer Bags  » Housewares  »
0.5
  • They split even when I think I'm being relatively gentle with them

• by CirclingCanvas

I have found these freezer bags to be very fragile. They tear pretty easily, like when I’m opening one or putting something in the freezer bag.

They split even when I think I’m being relatively gentle with them.

At times, I’ve attempted to “double” the freezer bag by putting one inside of another in the hopes that two will increase the

strength and durability of these bags, and that does seem to help.

I’m still surprised though by how easily they tear.

They close by pushing the two top seals together and when I go to open them by pulling the seals apart, they a lot of times split and become unusable.

Doubling the freezer bags help when I’m putting food in ...

• them so if the bottom starts to weaken, the second freezer bag helps to prevent the food from immediately falling out and I generally have time to replace the bags.

The freezer bags don’t hold up in the freezer, either, which is odd since they are designed to prevent such things as freezer burn, and yet, stuff like sausage and ground meat

still got freezer burn while in these bags.

It’s disappointing that these freezer bags don’t work because I usually have fairly good luck with Walmart’s Great Value line of products, but occasionally, the quality just isn’t there.

That’s why these freezer bags won’t be making their way back to my freezer again and that’s also why they get a “1″ rating from me.

Carol says :

I bought a 40 ct box of Great Value Freezer bags at Wal-Mart to use to store fresh vegetables using my method of water packing that I have used for years. The Great Value double ziploc freezer bags will not stay sealed. They leak out the double ziploc and I found some bags had pin holes in the bags. They are a most inferior product and I would advise anyone to not buy any Great Value freezer bags as you waste money and they will leak the contents out in your freezer making a bigger mess.

CirclingCanvas replies :

Yes, unfortunately, while the Great Value store brand is usually a good, solid alternative to the name brand items, when it comes to the ziploc freezer bags, it seems Walmart dropped the ball. I may try them again down the road just to see if the bags have been improved, but if I have another similar experience, I won’t waste my money on them again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5330051116750331/k2311a0530/5.30.10