Walgreens Sugar Free Cough Drops Eucalyptus Flavored  » Medicine  »
  • I was on a diet at the time, and cough drops would've been considered candy, according to the plan I was following, so reducing the caloric intake was great, not to mention that it was sugar free, as I've always tried to avoid unnecessary sugars unless it is directly found in chocolate
  • I didn't have that problem here, so I know they work

• by Anasuya

This is one of those instances in which is pretty obvious why eucalyptus should remain an aromatherapy scent and not a flavor for anything. My husband is a huge fan of cough drops and he has never minded the medicinal taste and, at times, even seems to prefer. I, on the other hand, hate cough drops for that very reason. Of course, I’m also very well aware that cough drops are pretty effective, for the most part, in soothing a sore throat, and I tend to get a lot of them often.

I have year-round allergies, and it often drains down my throat and I end up with a sore throat as a result. I have a constant supply of icky cough drops in my house at all times, at least when my husband isn’t going through them like candy. The last time I had a sore throat, I was at work and had to

stop next door on my break, at the pharmacy, to pick something up.

I had all of $2 in my wallet and refused to use a credit card for a cough drop purchase so ended up picking up the Walgreens Sugar Free Cough Drops Eucalyptus Flavored. It was only $1. 30, for 25, which is the cheapest I’ve ever paid for them, and at the time, all I cared about was wether or not it was going to help to soothe my throat, because was facing a very long day of customer service, and I don’t have the option of hiding in the back room and nursing a warm drink.

The one good thing about this cough drop is that it’s only 6 calories per drop, verses 15-20 in most brands. I was on a diet at the time, and cough drops would’ve been considered candy, according to the plan I was following, so reducing the ...

• caloric intake was great, not to mention that it was sugar free, as I’ve always tried to avoid unnecessary sugars unless it is directly found in chocolate! As I said before, the taste was phenomenally bad. I didn’t like it at all.

Even those that are fruit flavored aren’t great, but this didn’t even give me the benefit of fake fruit. It left an really bad aftertaste that totally destroyed everything I ate or drank for the day. You can take these every couple hours, as needed, which is nice, and I have to admit, I really didn’t even need them every couple hours.

It was pretty effective right off the bat. My sore throat was immediately soothed and there was no itching sensation in the back of my throat that usually has me faux coughing just to relieve it. I didn’t have that problem here, so I know they work.

In fact, they probably

work better than most other cough drops I’ve tried, and that probably has a lot to do with the two main ingredients I really didn’t like in it, the menthol and the eucalyptus. I guess you really can’t have a cough drop without those things. In the end, it was a good product and did what it claimed to do, but I sometimes just couldn’t wrap my brain around that taste.

However, with that said, another point towards its effectiveness was that it also helped clear up my stuffy nose and sinus congestion, mostly because of the vapors associated with the ingredients. My nose, first thing in the morning, is usually very stuffed up, and I didn’t have that problem at all while I used these. And, by treated the sinus congestion, it also helped keep my throat free of mucus which further helped alleviate the soar throat.

Not bad, all in all. Gross tasting, but effective. 8

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2630051115860131/k2311a0530/5.30.10