Michelina’s Chili-Mac frozen dinner
1.5
  • I think what ruined this frozen dinner in my eyes is the weak tomato sauce
  • There was unfortunately nothing special about it
  • The pasta was definitely tender and it was the most plentiful of all included in this frozen dinner, but because the sauce was bland, the pasta ultimately ended up being bland too
  • Although this meal only cost a dollar, I don't feel it was worth a dollar for the aforementioned reasons

• by CirclingCanvas

This frozen dinner didn’t do much to impress me. I think what ruined this frozen dinner in my eyes is the weak tomato sauce. There was unfortunately nothing special about it. It was just there. It didn’t contribute much in terms of flavor and so it didn’t enhance the meal or provide it with a supplemental flavor. I had hoped that it might be seasoned or enriched with herbs or spices, but it wasn’t. The beef and beans sat in the

sauce as did the macaroni, and I really think if the sauce had been something special or moderately good, I think my opinion of this frozen dinner would be much different.

I liked the small pieces of beef because they were tender and tasty. The beef had flavor, and that flavor went well with the beans. The beans reminded me of baked beans. They were a decent size and mildly flavorful. Beans usually don’t taste like much unless something is done to ...

• them or they are in a tasty sauce, but these were decent. The pasta was definitely tender and it was the most plentiful of all included in this frozen dinner, but because the sauce was bland, the pasta ultimately ended up being bland too. Pasta just doesn’t have much flavor on its own, like beans. Now had the sauce been halfway decent, it would’ve been easier to enjoy the beans and pasta. Beans and pasta almost always depend on a strong
        sauce to make them great, but that didn’t happen here, and the result is a meal that didn’t have much to offer in terms of taste.

Although this meal only cost a dollar, I don’t feel it was worth a dollar for the aforementioned reasons. I liked the beef pieces and the beans to a lesser extent, but everything else about this meal failed to satisfy me. It could have been much better, but as it is now, it gets a “3″ rating from me.

R says :

You are right the sauce is bland. But the trick to frozen food is to find a simple way to doll it up. I keep a bottle of Red Devil on hand, be it at home or in the lunch bag for work. Once the chili mac is out of the microwave, put on a few drops to taste, stir in and there ya go. Something edible for 1. I imagine any red hot sauce, like Frank`s, Louisiana or Tobasco will work. I prefer Red Devil.

CirclingCanvas replies :

That`s true. It`s certainly possible to boost the flavor of a frozen meal by adding a sauce, a seasoning, something. Creativity can save an otherwise forgetful frozen meal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2728051114740431/k2311a0528/5.28.10