Leap Frog Letter Factory  » Education  »
  • While my children haven't really had any problem learning their abc's, this video continued to make their learning experience fun and engaging
  • I was so impressed with the video, that I have purchased other videos in the series

• by mmmissy21

My kids love the Leap Frog educational videos. The first in the series is the Letter Factory, which emphasizes learning letters and their sounds. Tad and Professor Quigley are the stars of this video, with Professor Quigley taking Tad on a journey through the 26 letter rooms of the factory. In each room, Tad is greeted with a memorable way to remember the letter and its sound.

The video incorporates music, silliness and bright bold animation that keeps young children thoroughly engaged. My children love practicing their letters in part because of this movie. My youngest child knew

all of his letters by sight at a year old. He particularly loves the letter sound for A, a long “ahhhh” that is emphasized in the video by Professor Quigley jumping out and scaring all the little a’s in a monster suit. My older child is fond of the M sound “mmmm” which is emphasized by the m’s enjoying decadent desserts. While my children haven’t really had any problem learning their abc’s, this video continued to make their learning experience fun and engaging. It has been helpful in reinforcing what I’ve been teaching them.

Because the video tries to keep the ...

• learning very basic at this point, it neglects to teach children that some letters have more than one sound. I’ve heard other parents complain about this. A strong example is the letter O, which the video portrays as a long O sound (as in Octopus) Because of the long sound, the O sound may be confused with the A sound. Very similar is the E sound, which the video displays as “eh” and not “eeee”. The sound is similar again, to the A sound. Also, although the video includes examples of both capital and lower case letters, the differences
        are not emphasized. There’s only one or two points in the video where the difference is pointed out. Of course, if you sit with your children to watch the video, you can encourage them to notice the differences. I don’t really think these are big issues, as the video is really intended only to teach the most basic of letter concepts.

I was so impressed with the video, that I have purchased other videos in the series. Even though my child have a strong understanding of the letters and their sounds, they continue to ask to watch this video for pure enjoyment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5028051114220331/k2311a0528/5.28.10