Freedom of Simplicity by Richard Foster  » Books  »
  • When it comes to books, I love anything that can give me a new outlook on life
  • Throughout the book, Foster pointed out many interesting principles
  • If you want to make a change for the better, I suggest picking this book up as soon as possible

• by Paradigmgeek

When it comes to books, I love anything that can give me a new outlook on life. I love to have my viewpoint challenged or influenced by the minds of others. While I have been influenced very much by several different authors, I have to say that the book “The Freedom of Simplicity” has had one of the greatest impacts on my life.

In this book, author Richard Foster seeks to appeal to simplicity in the lives of Christians. He speaks of the freedom and the beauty in not being tied down by consumerist mindsets and the pursuit for more and more stuff.

Throughout the book, Foster pointed

out many interesting principles. For instance, after reading this book, I have become much more likely to ask myself the question “Do I really need this?” I used to buy pretty much anything that caught my eye without any thought to whether or not I actually needed it.

That’s not to say that we can’t splurge every once in a while, but I had tons of stuff that was taking up space, that I didn’t use, and that I held onto tightly for no other reason than it was my stuff. After reading this book, it really taught me that I need to be able to let go ...

• and not be tied down to stuff because when I hold on, I tend to not want to follow God in obedience because he may ask me to let go of my stuff.

After seeing this active in my life, I was motivated to live more simply, especially so that I could walk in obedience to God unhindered by earthly attachments. In this simplicity, I have found freedom.

Foster also teaches a very important lesson in that simplicity does not necessarily mean buying cheap things. It means buying things that last and are practical.

In other words, living the simple life may involve buying a 60 dollars pair

of boots that will last for years as opposed to a 10 dollars pair of boots that you will have to replace every year or so. Foster talked of simplicity also in the sense that learning to eat right and not blog ourselves down with junk food.

By eating a simpler, healthier meal, we see the effects on our life and how we live it. Overall, the freedom of simplicity is a book which not only challenged my thinking, but also transformed my life.

If you want to make a change for the better, I suggest picking this book up as soon as possible. It is well worth your money and your time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1728051114070331/k2311a0528/5.28.10