Denver Firefighter’s Museum
1326 Tremont Place, Denver, Colorado
  • For a little museum I was impressed with the activities they have for kids
  • I didn't get a chance to read all of the signs and information throughout the museum but I thought the ones I did were really interesting and informative
  • If you have a child who is to heavy to carry they might be disappointed because there are some fun items up there
  • Even so, with the pole on the first floor and all the fire gear I think it would still be worthwhile

• by AmethystTear

The Denver Firefighter’s Museum, while one of the lesser known attractions in the Denver area, is still a fun inexpensive outing for the family. My youngest daughter loves fireman and wants to be a firefighter right now so we too her down there. Located right in the heart of Denver, this would be a nice place to go in conjuction with other attractions in the area such as the Denver Art Museum.

The museum is housed in an old fire station and has lots of memorabilia such as old communication devices and switchboards, the evolution of dialing 911, old tools that firefighters used to use, antique fire engines and all kinds of old firefighting gear. We were

with one pre-schooler and a school age kid and while my older daughter stopped and read some of the information we mainly looked and did the more experiental based activities.

For a little museum I was impressed with the activities they have for kids. Downstairs both my daughters got a kick sliding down the pole and dressing up in kid size firefighting gear. I was able to get some great pics of my oldest dressed from head to toe complete with a gas mask. My little one loved driving the kid size fire truck as I made siren sounds. There is also a video about fire safety and how to check doors for heat and have ...

• an escape plan. I was impressed with this and glad the girls heard this information.

Upstairs there is a small scale house with a fire alarm so the kids can practice escaping in case of a fire. There was also a locker room with one set up how a firefighter might have it.

One impressive and emotional item in the museum is an actual piece of the World Trade Center. It really brings the tragedy and the emotion of September 11th to the here and now with a tangible piece of that building. I didn’t get a chance to read all of the signs and information throughout the museum but I thought the

ones I did were really interesting and informative. When the kids are older we’ll go back again so I can read everything!

Overall, Denver Firefighter’s Museum is a fantastic little outing. Adults get in for $6.00 and children are $4.00. One important thing to know is that the second floor is not wheelchair accessible. Our daughter is a wheelchair user but she is still small enough we just carried her up. If you have a child who is to heavy to carry they might be disappointed because there are some fun items up there. Even so, with the pole on the first floor and all the fire gear I think it would still be worthwhile.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3828051113710331/k2311a0528/5.28.10