Belkin Wireless G Plus USB Network Adapter (F5D9050 Model)  » Electronics  »
2.5
  • It was frustrating and it cost me a lot of time
  • There didn't seem to be any action I could take to solve the problem, either

• by CirclingCanvas

The biggest complaint I have regarding this wireless adapter is the long, long, long wait that I had to endure after starting up my computer. This wireless adapter took, on average, fifteen minutes to achieve a connection to my router. I would literally have time to eat breakfast before this adapter would recognize my router and connect to it. Sometimes it took a little less time and sometimes it took a little longer, but it always was a slow process. If I would restart my computer, the same thing would happen, there would be this long

wait. If the connection ever dropped, and it did sometimes drop, the same thing would happen in terms of having to wait for it to reestablish a connection. It was frustrating and it cost me a lot of time.

There didn’t seem to be any action I could take to solve the problem, either. I didn’t even know what the problem was. I assumed it was due to the technology inside the adapter because what else could it be? I had tried wireless adapters in the past and none of them had ever taken this long to connect to my router. My current wireless adapter, the 802.11g USB WiFi Wireless Lan Adapter w/5dBi Antenna made by Taiwan, connects within seconds of my desktop loading. Something about this adapter caused it to take its good old time connecting to my router and despite talking to tech support, which proved to be nothing more than another way to waste time, and browsing online forums for troubleshooting methods, I was never able to speed up the connection time, and that bugged me a lot, and that’s the reason I eventually stopped using it.

I will say however ...

• Belkin Wireless G Plus USB Network Adapter (F5D9050  Model)
      that when it did connect to my router, it delivered fairly good performance. Loading websites proceeded quickly, downloading and uploading was as speedy as if I had wired connection and the overall number of dropped connections was kept to a minimum. When connected, the wireless adapter performed very well and had I not had such a problem with the long wait for it to locate and connect with my router, I’d still be using it today. The adapter itself is slim and compact and doesn’t take up very much space, and that was nice too. It
      also only cost twenty dollars, and that wasn’t much at all compared to a lot of other wireless adapters on the market, many of which run for thirty-five dollars and up. Installation was hassle free, too. No driver issues, no crashing installation program, no nothing. Basically, this was an impressive adapter that had quite a bit going for it. The long connection time is what killed it for me. I’m still rating it a “5″, and I’m keeping it as a back-up adapter, but if I never have to use it again, I’ll be perfectly happy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1627051112450531/k2311a0527/5.27.10