Tenspeed and Brown Shoe DVD set  » TV  »
  • I also noticed in multiple spots that the looping is off
  • However, the cheap inside of the DVD case and the poor production elements make it hard to recommend this

• by Orrymain

I can’t describe how disappointing it was to receive this Tenspeed and Brown Shoe DVD set. The show itself is a good one. While the series consisted of a TV movie pilot and just twelve episodes, it was a terrific blend of comedy and drama and had superb acting by Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum in the two leading roles. The show is from the creative mind of Stephen J. Cannell, and when his imprint was on it, it was highly entertaining.

However, the DVD set is another story. It was manufactured by Mill Creek Entertainment and on the surface, it looked terrific. It comes in a nice sized DVD holder with terrific artwork of both actors. There’s one photo on the front and then more pictures on the back. So far,

so good.

Then I opened it and I literally laughed. I have *never* seen a DVD set like this before. There are three DVDs and they are literally each in a paper sleeve. That’s new, very new, and so cheap. I appreciate that they were at least in something to keep them safe.

Now, the individual sleeves aren’t attached to anything. Rather, on both sides of the DVD case, there are little overhang slots, so basically, the three sit in there. Now to me, that’s not safe because they can come loose and in fact, they were when I first unpackaged the set.

Again on the surface, the DVDs look terrific. They are actually thick and they have a photo of Vereen and Goldblum on them as well as a list of the episodes ...

• on the CD (each has four shows).

However, now we get to some difficulties with the disks. There is a ‘play all’ button on each disk. However, it didn’t work. It indeed started to play the first episode on each CD, but when that show ended, it just hung up, so I had to get back to the menu, and then select shows individually.

I also noticed in multiple spots that the looping is off. By that, I mean that the audio track is off synch with the video. That is so annoying. If it happened just once, I could excuse it, but it’s on multiple episodes.

Something else I noticed is that the show isn’t as seamless as others. The commercial breaks stand out more than I’ve seen on any other DVD set.

While it’s neat to have some of the between scene breaks, every now and then that first word is cut off, and that’s a negative.

Not the fault of Mill Creek, but buyers should also note that Universal, one very persnickety company, would not allow the pilot to be on the DVD set. Don’t ask me why; it does show up on TV from time to time. Go figure.

So, I was disappointed. I knew the pilot wasn’t included, so I don’t factor that in to my disappointment. However, the cheap inside of the DVD case and the poor production elements make it hard to recommend this. I’ll put it slightly on the plus side because it is a good show and not often seen on television, but just be aware of the pitfalls.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1027051112140531/k2311a0527/5.27.10