The Virginian: The Awakening TV Show  » TV  »
  • In this fourth season, her character would be turning 20, so that's definitely marrying age

• by Orrymain

As I understand it, Roberta Shore, who played Betsy Garth on The Virginian from the beginning, left the series to get married and retired from show business. In this fourth season, her character would be turning 20, so that’s definitely marrying age. I am very glad they ultimately decided to do this show, The Awakening, and that they convinced her to return one more time to give Betsy a decent send off.

Betsy

was always a flight of fancy in a good way. She was young, bubbly, and with a nice case of puppy love for The Virginian (James Drury). She’s grown up, but yet never really was allowed to grow out of that, until this episode where the woman inside Betsy awakens.

Naturally, there’s a man involved. Glenn Corbett guest stars as David Henderson, and when Betsy first meets him, she finds him exasperating.

• Ah, yes, it’s love at first sight, and it’s fun to see, too.

Happily, this is one of the few shows in recent times that includes the entire cast and not just one, two, or three. Lee J. Cobb, Drury, Doug McClure, and Randy Boone are all present and included in the events.

There is plenty of drama to bring about the big proposal, and the last ten minutes or so are weeks in

the making, but we do get the marriage proposal, a last ride between Betsy and Randy, a little scene with Betsy, the Virginian, and Trampas, and we do see the wedding. I would have liked to have seen some of these scenes expanded, as it was all very fast, but they were there, so fans at least got something.

Overall, The Awakening was a lovely goodbye for Roberta Shore and her Betsy Garth character.

Gabriel Gibson says :

I also saw this episode and echo most of your opinion of the show. I just would like to add just pinch of sadness to it. I don’t know why she decided to leave the show. I really enjoyed her character and thought she blended very well with the cast(I especially liked the repartes with her father). Shows like those are long gone, I know. I suppose they make me nostalgic. Thank God for youtube.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1027051111870431/k2311a0527/5.27.10