Bobby Brewster’s Typewriter book  » Books  »
  • And I think, to be honest, that I was missing out a bit

• by fredhound

Bobby Brewster’s Typewriter is an entry in the series of children’s story books by H. E. Todd. These used to be extremely popular a few decades ago, and when I was growing up I remember having several of them and reading them quite a bit, but I will confess that it had been quite some while since I had looked at any of them when I picked this book

up again a little while ago. And I think, to be honest, that I was missing out a bit.

There are eight stories in this slim paperback volume, and all of them follow the same general pattern - that of an ordinary day in the life of the titular Bobby (who is for the most part a completely ordinary boy) being enlivened by a touch of magic, such as a ...

• character in a library book coming to life or the apple tree in his garden at home starting to talk to him. The otherwise quite normal surroundings seem to give these fantasies an extra dimension.

I think that the one potential concern about this book is the old fashioned nature of the stories. In a few places they have dated quite badly - for example, a youngster such as Bobby

would surely not be allowed to have a pen knife nowadays - and even in less important ways there is a pervasive feel of the past. However, this is not something which necessarily has to make the book less enjoyable for today’s children - I think that so long as a parent is on hand to explain things where required, children of about seven ought to enjoy this book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1726051109800931/k2311a0526/5.26.10