TaxAct Ultimate Bundle  » Software  »
2.0
  • I think I was initially pulled to it because it was a much cheaper package than any of the others that I'd looked at, and it seemed to come complete with all sorts of tools that the others lacked, or so I thought
  • I suppose if you're a tax whiz and have done your own taxes for years and years, and just want to fly through it with as little distraction as possible, then this might be the program for you, because it's definitely the cheaper of the self tax options out there
  • I never even submitted it and switched straight to Turbo Tax and had a much better experience in the long run

• by Anasuya

I recently did a review on Turbo Tax, which a friend of mine recommended, and I really liked it, but before I made that leap, I made the mistake of investing in the TaxAct bundle package. I think I was initially pulled to it because it was a much cheaper package than any of the others that I’d looked at, and it seemed to come complete with all sorts of tools that the others lacked, or so I thought. I’m used to having a tax preparer do my taxes for me, and I’d honestly never done my own taxes a day in my life before this year. This tax software almost convinced me never to do for the rest of my life either, because I was left frustrated and downright

fearful of submitting the wrong things to the IRS and ending up with no refund at all, when we normally get back quite a handful every year. And, I’ve been running my own very small home business, on top of working another part time job, and I knew that would make this process a little tricky in the end, because I wasn’t sure of all the tax ins and outs that my preparer usually walks me through.

This software was awful for a number of reasons. The language it uses, for the most part, was so far over my head that I was spending hours just looking things up online so I could get a better understanding of what it was asking me. There was no importing tool to import ...

• your W2 information, and I’m just thankful I didn’t have any investments to report, because I have a feeling I’d have been pulling my hair out before it was all said and done. There was no real online or automated system support to speak of, and when I tried to call the number provided for real live people, it took me more than 20 minutes to get a real person on the phone and, even then, they really needed to dumb it down a little bit, because I could hardly follow what they were saying.

The user interface isn’t really friendly, but at least it wasn’t so bogged down with page after page of information you really don’t even need to know that I got totally lost in the shuffle.

However, when I needed to look up a help page to find the answer to a question, there really wasn’t any to speak of. I suppose if you’re a tax whiz and have done your own taxes for years and years, and just want to fly through it with as little distraction as possible, then this might be the program for you, because it’s definitely the cheaper of the self tax options out there. But if you need to be walked through the process step-by-step, then you’ll find yourself as frustrated as I was. Not a good place to be in when a lot of money is on the line. I never even submitted it and switched straight to Turbo Tax and had a much better experience in the long run.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3026051109640931/k2311a0526/5.26.10