Japan Airlines JAL  » Airlines  »
Chicago to Tokyo route
  • I found a little bit more space between the seats than I've found on most US carriers, but I would still upgrade to Economy Plus for long trips
  • This is not a problem, just get used to hearing a lot of Japanese chatter and announcements, and then a brief English phrase
  • I would definitely recommend Japan Airlines, especially for the long international flights

• by StarbaseOne

Twice I have flown Japan Airlines, also known as JAL, from Chicago to Tokyo and then onward to Bangkok. I would rate JAL as an excellent, above-average airline.

The Japan Airlines counters at Chicago and Bangkok are efficient and helpful. At the Tokyo Narita airport it’s a little more chaotic. Still, on the ground at the airport, the staff were friendly to me and helped to get me a seat with leg room. I found a little bit more space between the seats than I’ve found on most US carriers, but I would still upgrade to Economy Plus for long trips. I chose Economy Plus on my 2nd trip, and found about a foot of extra

leg room, which was very nice.

The entertainment provided on JAL is extensive. They have small screens on the front of every seat, so every passenger has his own entertainment center. I saw a choice of 25 movies, many of which were very recent and currently still in cinemas. Ten of the movies were Japanese films, 14 Hollywood movies, and 1 French film. All of the movies have multiple language choices. The entertainment center also had 12 music stations and about 20 video games, most provided by Sony. Headphones were given to all of us, and the remote control detaches out from the seat arm.

There was a large screen in the front ...

• of the cabin for all passengers to see. This showed safety features before takeoff, and later showed the route we were taking on a map. It displayed the distance we had travel on the map, and showed the kilometers and miles yet to go.

Most announcements were in Japanese, with just a brief summary later in English. All the menus and text on the planes are in Japanese with small English underneath. The magazines and papers are in Japanese, except for one newspaper. This is not a problem, just get used to hearing a lot of Japanese chatter and announcements, and then a brief English phrase. For example, the crew made a long announcement in

Japanese about the weather and Tokyo information for ten minutes; then in English just said “Cruising without turbulence, we’ll reach Tokyo at 10 a.m. with good weather expected.”

The planes were very modern and very nice, with plush seats and modern entertainment technology. The meals were better than most airlines. We had choices of Japanese or Western style fish or chicken meals. The snacks and drinks were constant, always available. Over the Pacific, the lights were dimmed for sleeping. I can’t sleep, so I watched some movies with my headphones on, and snacked on green tea, cookies and Japanese crackers.

I would definitely recommend Japan Airlines, especially for the long international flights. The experience I had was very good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4026051109010831/k2311a0526/5.26.10